Search Engine Box

Saturday, August 14, 2010

How to handle working, family life, and school

Some people wonder how I'm able to juggle everything: working full-time, family life, and midwifery school.

I suppose the fact that I like to be super-organized really helps! I keep two calenders: one on the fridge and a personal sized day planner. I put everything on both calenders - work hours, doctor appointments, family get-togethers, nights out with my girlfriends, scheduled phone conferences for school, due dates for school assignments. You name it, I put it on the calender/day planner. It is the only way that I am able to communicate to my entire family about what everyone is doing each day.

I keep a photocopy of the current work schedule for the entire unit in my day planner, just in case I need to call someone to make a swap of shifts if something comes up at home.

I have all of my bills organized on a chart next to my desk (which is at the center of all activity in the house). I can simply check off each bill as it gets paid, and see if there is anything else due at that moment. I also pay most of my bills online - so much easier!

For school work, I keep a file folder for each class. I have a checklist on the very front of each folder with all of the assignments and the due dates. I create this folder and document at the beginning of each term, so I stay organized and on track for each class. I started keeping a 3 ring binder for each class that has a lot of loose papers/notes that I need to keep organized. I also keep a file folder for each class on my computer, with tons more documents that I have saved for each class. (Just so you don't think I'm killing trees and printing out EVERYTHING!)

Study time is usually in the mornings/early afternoon, before I leave for work. Or I do several hours of studying on my days off of work. I've been known to bring textbooks to bed with me at night to do some more reading. Whenever I can get reading time in for school assignments, I do it! I always bring something to read to work and do that in down time, or over my dinner break. I have also been known to take a textbook with me when I go out to dinner or to a family gathering. Like I said - whenever I can get a free moment to read, my nose is in a book or in a journal article.

One place that is school free is when we go on a vacation. Vacation is just that: a break from the everyday world. No computer, no email, no schoolwork.

Some days I just wing it. Just so you don't think that I'm so totally structured ;-)

5 comments:

It's just me :) said...

Thanks for the tips! We keep a huge desk calander where my husband and I write all the months actvities too. It has been so helpful for us to avoid scheduling conflicts since I have been in school (he is a volunteer firefighter so he can easily see when I have school and can schedule around it as needed) I have been debating a personal planner but didn't know if that would be overkill. I think it might be a neccessity once I start NS though.

I like your idea of file folders for each class and the checklist of your bills. We are struggling with trying to not forget about a bill. We have missed one almost every month and it really hurts.

Thanks again! I plan to put some of them to some use. :)

Kristine said...

Hi! I read/lurk a lot because I'm always shy to leave a comment, although I have once before. I too am a mommy and a nursing student (although, I'm at the beginning of it!). It sounds like you are very organized...but you didn't mention much about family life. My dilemma is finding the time/energy to want to cook a nice meal for my children, take them out on play dates, to their dance lessons, soccer, or even just finding time to sit down and play with them. I don't know how many and how old your children are compared to mine. I have a 2 1/2 yr. old and a 4 yr. old, so we may be at different places in regards to the ages of our kids....just wondering how you squeeze all of that in as well, like finding time to spend/play with your children. I know both my girls hate when I am at the computer or sitting on the couch reading my school books. Unfortunately for me, my only time to really study is in the middle of the night which doesn't work all the time since both my kids like to wake up and only want me, not their daddy, lol! Sorry for this being so long, just like hearing how everyone else balances a lot of things on their plates!

AtYourCervix said...

Unfortunately, family time is what tends to suffer in the great scheme of things. I only have two children left at home - one is a high school graduate, so he really is "on his own" most of the time, and my 7 year old. My 7 yr old does get very needy sometimes, so I end up taking a break from things when she gets that way, and I try and set aside just time for her and I (or: her, me, and her daddy!). Like I said in the original post, when we do mini-vacations/weekend trips, we leave the electric gadgets behind and focus on spending time together as a family.

msx said...

When I grow up..I want to be like you!! mind you, I'm 21 but I'm a student nurse I am planning to go into labour and delivery or pediatrics and wow I just began developing my organizational skills... but if I can do it to the extent you do it I think my life would be less hectic and organized. thank you for the tips =)

Cartoon Characters said...

You are right AYC...family life suffers...that is the one regret I have working as an RN....in the whole scheme of things....family is most important....