Search Engine Box

Thursday, August 12, 2010

"Would you like to go home?"

This was asked by my charge nurse recently, towards the end of my shift. It was in the middle of a recovery time period from a birth, and I was working on helping the baby latch onto mom's breast to nurse.

"No thanks - I think I'll stay."

I really don't like leaving "my patients" when it's after the birth, but before they're settled into their postpartum room. Maybe it's just me? But I like to continue to see the fruits of everyone's labors from the birth.

7 comments:

Amy K. said...

This is just one of the reasons you will make an awesome midwife.

Speculative Speculum said...

Such dedication! You can be my nurse anytime! :)

Jenny said...

I just sent you an email. It has an attachment of a picture of my daughter. I hope you still remember me from when I had my son (pictured). :)

Cartoon Characters said...

That's why I like the LDRPs so much. They stay in the room and there is no need to disturb.... :) I hear you....once you've done the work you want to make sure the good stuff follows....it's all part of it right?

donnamaria said...

was this a cost saving request? I don't know about in any other hospital, but in our unit if the census drops, they want to send you home ( on call of course, in case there census ges up and in L&D that can change from moment to moment.) I have been sent home in the after working for 4 hours and then returned 2 hours later!!!

AtYourCervix said...

Yes, this is a census related/cost related expense. They are constantly sending people home/calling them back in.

Anonymous said...

well hopefully when you get called back in, you get time and a half..