I have accepted a CNM position in an MD/CNM collaborative practice! Start date.....more than likely several months away. Why so long? To sum it up in one word: credentialing.
Credentialing is where you, the provider, fill out reams of paperwork to be able to accept health insurance payments from all of the different health insurance companies. I need to be credentialed for both the office and the hospital. More to come on this long and tedious process.......
I also need to get my collaborate agreement on file with the state board of medicine in order to practice as a CNM. This is required by my state (PA). Other states do not require this to practice.
I need to get my DEA number to prescribe, after I have my collaborative agreement on file. Getting a DEA number is also mega expensive -- luckily, the practice will be paying for this, as well as all of my other licensure fees!
I also have to have background checks done, a drug screen, sit through general orientation with the company......probably will need to have hospital orientation as well.
The things that they don't tell you about in your midwifery education. Wow.
A very excellent benefit in this CNM position is occurrence malpractice coverage. This is the higher priced malpractice insurance, but it covers me not only while I am an employee with this practice, but also if I am named in any suits after I should leave the practice. Many places offer "claims made" insurance, which means that you must buy a "tail" on your insurance if you leave the practice. This tail is often in the $10's of thousands of dollars (or more). I am so grateful that I will not need to worry about tail coverage!
More info to come.............
11 comments:
congratulations!!!!! so exciting!!! the list of paperwork and hoops to jump through is unreal...although I've heard that privileging for new grads takes less time because they have less things to check out. i'm crossing my fingers. and occurrence coverage is huge!! i wish that's what i was being offered. hooray for new beginnings!
Congratulations! I hope to be walking down your road in the next 5 years or so and I sure am learning a lot - besides being very excited for you!
HOORAY!! So happy for you! Can't wait to read more.
Big congrats on your new job!!
I am so happy for you, congratulations!
CONGRATULATIONS to you! What an amazing journey you have been on, and to finally see such good things happening from your hard work and accomplishments must be the best of feelings!
My best,
Jim
Storytellerdoc
Well done! Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Just stopping by, having noticed your creative (and humorous) blog title on Chasing Myself's blog.
Yay for you, that must be UBER exciting!!!
I'm surprised to hear the amount of paperwork required to complete the process - ya wow
anywho, congratulations all the same. Happy that you're getting (mostly) what you want :)
Fantastic news! You will do wonderfully!
This sounds like a ton of work! But I'm sure it will be totally worth it. Are you excited? Who am I kidding, how could you not be excited?
Do you ever read books about nursing or midwives?
There's a great book about midwives, you can read an excerpt here: http://bit.ly/196JL93
Let me know what you think.
Post a Comment