Search Engine Box

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Building relationships

I love it when I bond well with a patient when I'm on L&D.  I've had several lately that really stand out in my mind, and let me just say -- not all of them felt super warm and fuzzy when I first met them!  I realize it takes a bit of time for some people to warm up to a caregiver - they have to build a relationship, learn to trust their caregiver(s), create some kind of bond.  Other people, we just hit it off right from when we say "hello".

I care for many women from a wide variety of cultures, and some of the cultural norms are very "hands off", and may seem like there is an emotional as well as physical distance in the nurse-client relationship.  But then the new mom will surprise me, and give me this huge hug, and want to get a picture taken with me and her new little baby, and she just grips my hand and doesn't want to let go.  It just blows my perceptions of those "cultural norms" out of the water!

Building relationships with clients is one of my favorite aspects of both being a nurse, and being a midwife.

3 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

that's why I am in health care-to touch people. I mean literally touch them, with my hands and my heart. You too, I can see and that's one of the reasons I follow your blog. I sure hope you get a job soon.
wannqa relocate? we always need good people here in No Cal.

Nurseables said...

I've been thinking a lot about nursing relationships with patients. In school, I was always taught to keep my distance and redirect the questions if my patients ever asked me anything personal. But I've been realizing that may not have been the most accurate advice. Part of building a relationship with someone is sharing a part of yourself and if that little bit of information about me will help my patient to feel more comfortable and well taken care of, then it's all worth it. Great topic!

Allie Wilson said...

Request to reprint article in ‘Nurses Self Care Plan’ Magazine

Brilliant topic thank you, from a nurse who puts making real and heartfelt connections with patients and people high up on the work place agenda!

I have a facebook community of 50k nurses (facebook.com/whatiwishiknewaboutnursing) and I'm about to publish a new magazine with a working title of ‘Nurses Self Care Plan’ exclusively on the Apple Newsstand. I think the readers of the magazine would love to read your article too.

As I would love to help prevent other nurses suffering the pain of burnout, by doing some simple self care and caring for our hearts not by closing them off but exploring them deeply. As we all know nurses need to look after themselves before we can look after others!

So, I was wondering if you are open to it, if I could reprint your article in the magazine please? If you’d like me to promote something for you – maybe a book or a specific web page you’d like me to point people to I’d be more than happy to do it. As it is an interactive magazine, once people have read the article they can be directed straight to a web page of your choice.

I hope to hear back from you soon, thank you.
Allie x

Author: What I Wish I Knew about Nursing