Search Engine Box

Saturday, August 17, 2013

How will Obamacare change health care on Oct 1, 2013?

I am pondering just how Obamacare changes are going to change different aspects of healthcare, starting Oct 1, 2013.

1. How will this change my own healthcare insurance coverage at my hospital?  They have yet to announce this to employees.  Will we change to the new insurance purchase methods?  How expensive is it going to be for employees?

2. How will this change our RN staffing on L&D?  Will it cut out more money from the department budget, creating a loss of jobs?  Will there be more income into the department, creating more RN positions?

3. How will it affect physician/CNM reimbursement?  Reimbursement from insurance companies have been declining in the past 20-25 years.  What an MD used to make from doing one surgical procedure has dropped dramatically.  (I recently was having a discussion with a physician about this at work.)

4. Will more NPs/CNMs/PAs be implemented into the new healthcare system to help save money?

5. With more people being able to buy in to the healthcare insurance exchanges (i.e. more Medicaid??) will we see in influx of more people coming to the hospital for urgent/emergent care?

6. How will this affect hospital billing and reimbursement?

7. Will smaller physician/CNM practices combine into the hospital system and become hospital employees?

8. Will I ever find a job as a CNM in this market?

7 comments:

Antigonos said...

I feel for you -- I really do. I doubt you'll have answers any time soon. As each new provision of Obamacare hits the fan, I expect further postponements of implementation, it's such a badly written bill, and mass confusion, both for health care professionals, health care institutions, and the public.

Peggy said...

The bill allows Medicaid to pay for birth center births, and defines "birth center" very broadly, so I expect that many new birth centers will be opening in the next few years.

Unknown said...

I wondered if all this would flood the system, causing more women to chose home births because it would be less hassle? But, maybe it would be more restricted, too. So many unknowns. Someone I know remarked today that Obamacare caused the insurance for their newborn to be three times more than what it is for their other children

michellemybelle said...

A few of the things I have read about the affordable care act (On the ANA website if you're interested) state that more NP's and CNM's will be required to provide care because more people will have access to healthcare. So I truly hope that CNM's and NP's will be more in demand and more utilized than they are now.

Unknown said...

It's the question on everyone's minds! What really will happen after Oct 1? I compiled some expert opinions about the impact here - http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/health-sciences/blog/impact_obamacare_job_implications_healthcare_reform_bill/

Nurse Michelle Katz also provides a lot of information for those in the industry - https://twitter.com/michellekatzmsn

PS - I love the title of your blog!! Maybe the most creative I have seen!

BedpanAlley said...

Please keep us updated on anything you find out. I just started nursing school but I hope to become a CNM soon after I graduate as an RN. I am, however, very worried about what changes might occur and if I should even pursue further education with the upcoming health care system. It sounds like I may have better chances of finding a job as a CNM with this bill, but only time will tell. Thank you for bringing this up though, it's good to have open discussions about new legislation!

Surviving Murder said...

Thanks great blog ppost