Search Engine Box

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Evolving as a student: how I do outlines and note cards

Per the comments in the last post, here is what I do for note taking from textbooks:

I need outlines. I type as I go. Here is an example of a recent section of notes:

SEXUAL HEALTH

1. Health assessment of a woman with or without sexual concerns
  • ht, wt, VS, BMI
  • neuro system
  • vascular system
  • pelvic: internal and external - inspection and palpation
  • satisfaction?
  • concerns?
  • Dx testing (depending upon possible etiology)
  • Vag cultures to r/o infection
  • Thyroid studies
  • Hgb A1C
  • Lipids
  • Sex hormone-binding globulin
  • Free and total testosterone levels
  • FSH, estradiol
And so on, and so on, in the outline format. Sometimes it's super heavy on details, other times, it's just a general outline. I will print my outlines out and re-read the info and text again, and sometimes take more notes on the printed outline. Then come the different colored highlighters to really emphasize important info!



As for note cards on MS word, if you format your blank document to the size of the note card you plan to print the info out on (I use 5x7), it will format it for you. Super easy! Then I make sure that my printer settings are set to the 5x7 note card, then I feed in the note card (a sample one first, to make sure I have it set up correctly). If it prints out to my satisfaction - voila!! NOTE CARDS!



Note cards info --- here is an example note card:




4 comments:

Unknown said...

you're the best! thank you for sharing. i get the need for an outline and then adding layers of detail and colored highlighters. at the rate i'm going now, i'll use two packs of multi-colored highliters per semester! lol

BLASTULA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I hadn't even thought of printing them out as notecard-sized! Thanks for the idea! I signed up for Dropbox a while back but haven't used it yet. Guess it's time to get on the bandwagon. It's my first term with three classes! (deep breath!) Oh, and I'm totally stealing your "Completed/To Be Done" class list. Love the idea. :)

Emily said...

Thanks! The outline really makes the text readings easier to digest. :)