I was meandering around on the internet, searching for different scholarships that I might qualify for to help finance this whole educational process. Finding scholarships that one qualifies for is not easy! I have used FastWeb, Johnson & Johnson, March of Dimes, and have looked on the ACNM site as well. The few that I have qualified for, I have applied for in the past year, and have not gotten. I just don't get it. Is the money really there?
I'm a member of: ACNM. Errr, I guess I should become a member of more organizations? I let my AABC membership expire. I am not a member of AWHONN, though I should sign up. I'm on Team Midwife with the ACNM.
I have a GPA above 3.5 - so I qualify for the higher GPA scholarships. CHECK!
I'm not of a minority group, so I am not qualified for any of those scholarships.
I've completed over one full year of graduate studies (most graduate scholarships require at least one full year completed). CHECK!
Technically, I'm a single mother. CHECK!
I don't qualify as financially needy. Income level too high for that. Bummer. You should see my budget (expenses vs income). And grad school ain't cheap!
I've entered into photography contests for scholarships (found via FastWeb). Zippo.
I've found another site that you take quizzes to earn points to earn scholarships: http://www.cksf.org/default.cfm However, I have apparently a lot of competition in that one. Will keep checking it for more updates and opportunities.
Locally.......not a whole lot offered. Once a year, my employer offers scholarships (in the spring), so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for those.
Any other ideas?
9 comments:
It appears you have exhausted nearly all of the options - good luck to you! I know how frustrating it can be looking for financial aid/scholarships!
There's the American Holistic Nurses Association. But for the graduate scholarship, you'd have to be a member for a year before applying, and you'll be done by then?http://www.ahna.org/AboutUs/DonateSponsor/CharlotteMcGuireScholarships/tabid/2193/Default.aspx
It seems like sometimes there's scholarships from places in return for working for them for a certain amount of time. Sorry, no specific examples coming to mind. And maybe I'm thinking of scholarships for nursing school.
Scholarships are discouraging...
Have you thought about something like the National Health Service Corps or other loan repayment?
Scholarships...what I've discovered for grad school is that there aren't many places that give scholarships just to give 'em! They want something in return (you to work for them, usually).
I'm hoping to have a local site approved for the NHSC by the time I graduate. I've been working with them on the application, but you know how bureaucracy can be........
Ugh- I just graduated from my AC-PNP program and let me tell you, the process of looking/finding/applying for scholarships was NOT fun! But, after the seemingly endless process, even just getting one small-ish one truly pays off! Good luck to you!
I always found myself in the same situation as you when I was in school....
that's why I'm paying back $30k JUST for junior/senior BSN years at a PUBLIC university!
It seemed like EVERYONE else I went to school with got grants. Guess I should have gotten divorced on paper so I wouldn't have my husband's income - there's no way we could have paid for school with it without selling our home/dramatically changing our life, etc. And it's not like we live high on the hog, we live fairly modestly.
I wish there were more options for non-traditional students and financial aid. I think I read somewhere that 90 percent of scholarships are set up for only high school seniors to qualify for. We've become too dependent on college loans for everyone else.
We just put up a blog at ACNM addressing this issue (and inspired by your post)...might be worth a look! www.midwife.org/blog
-Cassie Moore
PEO offers several options for low % loan or scholarship:
http://www.peointernational.org/peo-projectsphilanthropies
Soroptimists also have at least one program: http://www.soroptimist.org/awards/awards.html
I'm not a regular reader, but I hope this helps!
Post a Comment