Search Engine Box

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Water immersion in labor, water birth

I'm spreading the word about Evidence Based Birth!  Lots of info, well written and backed up with evidence and research, about pregnancy, labor and birth.

If you're interested in entering to win an EBB waterbirth t-shirt, you can enter here.

No, we don't have waterbirth at my hospital -- it was "taken away" several years before I started there, due to a poor outcome with one baby.  It sounds like it was not the waterbirth itself that led to the problems with the baby, but more of the management of the labor/birth.  I won't go into details, because I value and respect (and honor) the pain that that particular family went through.

However, if you look at the evidence....water immersion in labor, in a low risk pregnancy is SAFE.  Waterbirth --- with lots of references listed to many different studies.  Some studies were good (appropriate power and number of women), while others were not good (small population samples).

6 comments:

Antigonos said...

Water immersion is safe for women who are low risk and with intact membranes as an analgesic aid in LABOR. IMO, there is NO justification for giving birth in water. Humans, and indeed mammals, even aquatic mammals, have NEVER done so. It's a gimmick. Homo sapiens gives birth into air. [So do seals, etc.]

Birthing pool water cannot be free of fecal and other contamination. Babies do gasp [forget the "diving reflex" which has been shown to be irrelevant]. Shoulder dystocia cannot be managed under water.

IMO, giving birth under water is a great way to kill or brain damage babies.

[Hope you are feeling better, btw]

Anonymous said...

Antigonos, who cares about your opinion? We're talking about research and evidence here.

WorldNursingJobs said...

One must consider research and evidence before talking about an issue. In fact, there's a crucial benefit to both babies and to the mother's health with the process of water immersion. I couldn't understand why your hospital taken it away just because of one baby.2

Mitzi said...

I labored in the tub and it was wonderful. However, I chose not to deliver in the water. I did not relish the idea of having to move so quickly after delivering. I wanted to just lay there and enjoy the moment as long as possible. I also learned, in the tub, that too big of a tub did not give me the stability I needed when bearing down. My inability to get sturdy footing led to some illogical feeling of loss of control. Getting out and on the bed was exactly what I needed to push my little baby out.

However, I say more power to you if you want to deliver in water.

As far as the fecal problems, a good CNM and her RN is at the ready with a small water vaccuum to get rid of said matter. The risks are negligible.

13197844 said...

I'd like to ask, which procedure is actually the best as well as safest to follow? Is it giving birth in water or out of water? And why?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Antigonos, I find it very hard to believe that dolphins and whales get out of the water to deliver.