Search Engine Box

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Compliments: give and you shall receive

I received a very complimentary comment from a former prenatal patient recently.  Even though I wasn't there at her birth (one of my partner CNMs was at her birth) she raved about her entire experience - prenatal care, labor, birth.  It warms my heart when patients give feedback like that.  Love it, hate it, or even if it was just so-so......I like to hear how each woman feels about her pregnancy and birth.

I remember this lovely young woman in particular.  She is tall and looks like this beautiful goddess.  I told her that, several times when I saw her in the office.  I also told her -- her baby should surely slide out easily like butter because of how tall she is. Sure enough, her birth went fast and easy!  I love being able to see moms again afterwards -- several months down the road --- to see how they're doing in their transition to parenthood.  In this particular woman's case, I would say she is doing very, very well!  Her baby is just as beautiful as she is too.  I happen to see this client frequently, due to the nature of her work, and absolutely LOVE how well she has blossomed into a new mother.

As midwives in our group, we all send out nice hand written congratulations note cards to each mom/baby that we helped come into this world (when we are present at their birth).  I love that we do this, because this helps tell moms that we really DO care about her, her baby, and her new family.

I've also received a very nice compliment in the form of a hand written card from a GYN client who had a bad diagnosis, but we (she, mostly!) was able to catch it in time quickly.  That is something that will stick with me forever!

Yet another amazing little "thank you" I received was a mini photo book from a birth.  What a lovely, lovely surprise!  I also was able to see this mom postpartum at 6 weeks, so it was so wonderful to get feedback on how she felt her birth went.  Waiting til the 6 week mark really helps, I think, with moms to process their birth, and see it without that endorphin rush of the immediate postpartum time period.  I do like to get honest feedback, so I can improve birth experiences in the future.  It warms my heart when a client then tells me that they can't wait to have their next baby with me/us!

How did you feel about your births?  Do you feel you had a good communication with your provider?  Did things go as you expected or desired?  Could your provider done anything to improve your birth?

6 comments:

LauraT said...

How great to get such positive feedback! With my last baby, things went really badly. Thankfully, my baby wasn't harmed, but I was traumatized by the whole experience. Aside from talking with the nurse manager of labor and delivery about what happened, I did go in and talk with my doctor about my feelings and how I thought he should have done things differently. He expressed regrets about his role in the whole birth and we were able to part reasonably well. I hoped that he learned something from my situation, because I truly cared for his subsequent patients and hoped that the weaknesses he showed with me could be corrected, even minimally.

Anonymous said...

I just had baby #2 five weeks ago and my OB was at both of my births (baby #1 is two years old). With my first baby, I had some complications that required monitoring by MFM specialists, a pediatric cardiologist and my OB. I had numerous appointments and tests from week 20 until delivery. I also developed PE and was induced by week 37. Thankfully my labor and delivery went well and I have a healthy baby! What I really struggled with was the end of care or, connection (not sure how to describe it) with my OB after the baby was born. We spent so much time together and I really relied on her knowledge and guidance through the whole process that it was almost like a bad breakup after the baby was born. You don't come back until your PP visit and that was it. I really had a hard time with that for some reason.

I had a much smoother time with this baby and I don't have the same feelings about not communicating with my OB since my delivery. I am perfectly fine touching base at my PP visit and leaving it at that.

So I guess to answer your question- my OB was fantastic at both of my deliveries. I'm not sure what can be done differently or if I was just struggling so much since it was my first experience.....

WorldNursingJobs said...

Gratitude is the mother of all virtues, indeed!

Summer said...

When my midwife seemed to lose faith in my plans to VBAC, I switched to a new OB at 35 weeks pregnant. I only saw him for 2 or 3 appointments before delivering so I didn't know him well but yet I felt like I did. I completely trusted and loved him.
After delivering my baby, I told everyone how grateful I was for such a wonderful doctor. I emailed him a few weeks after the birth to tell him that as well. I was so tickled to receive a hand written Thank you card just like you do as well. Like a previous person said... I really grieved the loss of communicating and preparing for my birth with my doctor though the 6 week check up helped. I look forward to getting pregnant again and returning to his care!

Unknown said...

After my first labour I complimented all the midwives that were there for me as they really helped and I even made a small presents for them all as I really don't know how would I get through this without them...

John Snow said...

Hi there,
Thankyousomuch for Giving such Sweet Advice regarding such Serious Concern, Surely I'll Imply & take Notes on the Following Advice!
Thanks Again !
Sociology Nursing Assignment Helps