Search Engine Box

Sunday, December 22, 2013

A synopsis of office days

Hi everyone!

I've been busy, working a solid 5 days/week as a CNM, and loving it!  Doesn't leave much time to devote to blog entries.

I have met amazing women as a CNM.  I truly love the relationships that I am forming with women in their lifetime.  I've met women from adolescence to many years post-menopausal.  Women from ages 14 to 80.  Midwifery truly is being "with women" across the entire female life spectrum!

I've met women who have contributed so many awesome things for other women....the underground abused women's society that helps relocate abused women and children to different parts of the country....women who give to others, despite their own personal pain and history of abuse.....women who have gotten clean from drugs and now help other women do the same.....women who see the beauty in others, when they themselves have a hard time seeing their own beauty.

As women, we are just absolutely amazing.  We give, we care, we nurture.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when reading the pathology report of a benign breast biopsy result.

I'm praying for a normal chromosome report for a woman that I had to give potentially devastating initial test results.  I cried (silently) right alongside her when she burst into tears.

I gave very happy news to a pregnant woman, that she and her husband were going to have a baby girl in the upcoming months.

I helped a woman overcome her fear of pelvic exams, by allowing her to be in total control of the entire exam.  (Ok, I have to admit, this one has happened multiple times!)

I have diagnosed a woman with PCOS strictly on my physical exam and thorough medical history.  And had it validated with u/s and blood test results. Twice.

I have given women information so that they can control their own destiny, and not allow history to repeat itself.

I have diagnosed more STDs than I would like to admit.  And they all get information about taking charge of their own sexual health and buying and using condoms.  If he refuses, guess what? You have the right to say NO.


3 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

You are rocking this new career; I so wish you were my CNM doing my annual pelvics; life would be a very different experience for me and so many women I know. Keep on doing what you do so well; may your hands be blessed with the knowledge to help others and your brain be filled with positive info for our futures. Thank you for blogging and sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Great post! I've always been interested in a career in obstetrics. Seems like you've had some rewarding experiences!
-Natalie
http://twentyishnurse.blogspot.ca/

Anonymous said...

Here is our #1 Seller on Amazon. Top NCLEX Meds helps nursing students pass NCLEX. Feel free to add to your blog. What are your thoughts about the book? #TopNCLEXMeds http://youtu.be/g2uNS4HUkJA