Let's talk about 50 Shades of Grey -- the trilogy.
Love it? Hate it? Somewhere in between?
I just finished reading the final book in the trilogy. I have to admit, when I first started reading it, I was thinking several things: Christian is abusive, he's 50 shades f-cked up, and Ana is just a wuss. The writing needs some big time improvement because repeating the same phrases over and over gets annoying.
But -- the sex scenes -- holy crap! Awesome! Definitely "mommy porn" material. Nothing like what you read in other romance novels.
Reading these books was like watching the scene of an accident: you just can't turn away. I found myself disgusted by how abusive he was towards her, yet, wanting to keep reading more.
Ironically, after reading the last book in the series, I am now wanting the author to write the story from Christian's perspective. I wonder if the original books were written from BOTH characters perspectives, it may have been a better series. To truly understand WHY Christian is the way he is.......instead of this crap about Ana's "inner goddess" and her lip biting. Seriously. Enough with that crap.
Oh, and both orgasming at the same time with each and every sex act? Totally not realistic.
Your thoughts?
15 comments:
I think your assessement of the books is good. I, however, couldn't get past the first 2 books because the writing was so unpolished.
I have an at home party business that sell romance items. These books have certainly been good for my business =) If you can get past the terrible writing and unrealistic expectations, there is some good stuff. It has really opened a lot of women's minds to things they wouldn't have entertained for fear of being "weird". Specifically I'm talking about restraints. We have a very mild restraint kit and it has sold like wildfire. I feel like the series gave women permission to experiment. Not that anyone needs permission of course! It has really opened the dialog in many relationships, which is what we promote. For that reason alone, I think it is a great series.
I read all 3 and honestly the second was AWFUL. The writing is pretty bad and after awhile I even started skipping the sex scenes... well at least the vanilla ones...lol
I do not think I have been elevated into literary acclaim by reading them, and I think they need a new writer.
SUCH a trainwreck...and yet, I devoured the trilogy in a week (on maternity leave no less)! Thank goodness for my Kindle.
I have absolutely no desire to read them. Have heard everything about them at work (the swooning, etc.)
You absolutely need to read "Nightshifted" by Cassie Alexander. I think you would love it.
If there was one good thing that came out of my reading of this poorly written soft porn trilogy, it was a renewed appreciation and love for my husband - his kindness and love towards me. I don't have to wonder from minute to minute what mood he is in. He's always in my corner.
I only read the first one...I know they say it gets better and friends have said to keep reading...but I didn't like the abuse and control that Christian had over the one he supposedly loves. Guess that is because my first marriage was an abusive one and so many aspects of the book were just wrong. I think it sends the wrong message to young women. With all of the human trafficking and sex business that goes on in this world, I just don't feel the book does women any justice.
So I chose to not read the rest of the series.
It wasn't the sex that bothered me (hello L&D nurses talk about sex all of the time)...it was the control and 'punishments' that he used. Just not right in my opinion.
I will take my kind hearted, willing to try anything husband over the controlling abusive,wants sex his way, ex any day!
And that goes for my reading pleasure too. Would rather read something more worthwhile.
Debbie
I read the first book and loved it then tried to read the 2nd and I could not get into it! I was over all the sex and stupid phrases. Still not sure if I will finish, but I agree that if both perspectives had been included it might have been a better read. The writing is So SO bad.
There is a hysterical series of recaps at jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com. I have "read" the first book via the recaps and don't feel the need to actually get the book now! The recaps seriously have me laughing out loud.
Also, I didn't realize until I read the recaps that this was originally a Twilight "alternate universe" fanfic. Wow, a fanfic ripping off books I already hated! No wonder I love recaps making fun of it ;-)
What's weird to me is everybody at my work is reading these books, in plain sight! In the nursery, at the front desk, etc. Does it seem weird to you to read in public, at your hospital job, what everyone knows is softcore porn?
I flipped through one of the books but the writing style really got on my nerves, so I skipped it. I'm an editor by training and I have a hard time not 'editing' as I read when the books are in need of a little (or a lot) of help.
I do applaude the freedom they seem to be giving some woman to try new things.
I haven't read this book, but if you want awesome sex scenes in well written romance novels with decent guys, try any Jennifer Crusie book. She's freaking awesome!
Ha! I too, almost couldn't get past the first chapter b/c of the writing. Then a friend of mine said, "it's not supposed to be a literary masterpiece! Keep Reading and ignore that!" So I did.
I started enjoying it. Codependance, control issues and all. It was nice. And it made me warm and fuzzy for my husband again.
I also have my side business with PR (which is one reason I had to read it)and I've started doing "Gray Parties" with our BDSM Light line. LOL They are so much fun!!
One thing I am super paranoid about is that they may case the twilight girl as "Ana" in the movie-- Her Lip Biting got on my nerves SOOO bad in the movie, I almost couldn't sit through that!
PS, I've been to this blog before and am a little sad to admit that I don't make it over as much as I would like to. I'm a bit behind you in the program... but it's nice to come here and read about what you are going through now and then. :-)
I wondered, too, how the book would have been if Christians perspective had been included. I guess we had a taste of it at the end of the last book and it got me thinking! Maybe the author is working on such a book?! Hopefully the writing will graduate from junior high to at least high school level writing. The third book was by far the worst from a writing perspective. It was as if someone completely different wrote the middle part of the book. The writing at the beginning and endings was similar to the other 2 books. Anyway, I enjoyed following the story so was able to overlook the poor writing. I, also, liked that the series had a nice ending. I always love a happy ending!
This book originated as a fanfic, and ironically the author tried to sue when someone was writing a fanfic from 50 Shades, it's shameful. The book is really... painting a bad image of a woman in a relationship. It's essentially a bad fanfic. There are many fanfics with excellently written porn, much more sophisticated than some published novels. I recommend http://scribblemoose.livejournal.com/ and some of her author friends, they write hot sex without turning the protagonists into Mary Sue characters.
Post a Comment