So, what I thought was going to be hard for me to learn how to do, turns out to be much easier than expected: speculum exams. Yep, that's right. Those good old "duck bills" used to examine a cervix. Our lovely, dreaded gyn exams. (Actually, I dread the dentist much more than a GYN exam, but that's just me.)
I only have had difficulty in finding one cervix with a speculum exam thus far. I think I'm up to about 6-7 spec exams now. Definitely feeling my confidence level rise!


5 comments:
Don't you do speculum exams at the hospital you work at? We spec our own pts where I work!
Seeing the second picture - do you have more info on where this is taken from / where to find information on a gynecological self-exam?
Not asking for this to replace medical care. Understand that this would never be possible.
But as a csa survivor I cannot deal with those exams. 'Practicing' might be a way though to take away a part of the terror of those exams entail...
Jen: I found the image here -- http://www.fwhc.org/health/selfcare.htm I encourage you (any woman!) to learn how to do a self exam, just for the sake of knowing what your own body looks like on the inside and out.
We also do our own Speculum exams. I am finding that going straight in instead of sideways and turning the handle like I was taught is resulting in a LOT less gasping from the patients! We have to check for pooling, discharge and bleeding as long as it's not bright red. It's always scary to go with the spec and have a bag fill it on a preemie...I then b a c k o u t v e r y Sloooooooooooooooowly. If it's bright red bleeding I call the doc. No need to risk! I loved getting the wet mounts and finding yicky trichy (though not for my patients' sake - just fund to see those nasties swimming!) but now we have to send them down to lab. BOO.
http://www.beautifulcervix.com/
You probably already know about this site, but just in case...
Post a Comment