Search Engine Box

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Howdy ya'll!

The title of this post is what I'll be saying in just a few short weeks as I travel to Kentucky for clinical bound!

Yeppers!  You guessed it ---- I passed both of my classes with flying colors.  Both A's!  I was not a fan of the paper writing I had to do the for the health policy/birth center course, but I actually learned tons in the process of writing the papers.  I learned that, for one thing, a birth center is a viable option in my area.  I just may pursue this when I am done with my schooling!  The big problem will be start-up funding.  I have to start looking at the finer details of how to get the start-up funds.

Advanced antepartum was an awesome class!  I learned so much in that class.  I had the most wonderful instructor in my team (the whole class is super large, probably 60+ students, so they divide you into smaller teams).  My instructor for advanced AP was just awesome!!  I told her so in a private email, which she really appreciated.  I do feel firmly that when I come across a really outstanding instructor, I am going to tell them just what makes them so amazing.  They need to hear this information!  They need to know that they make a huge difference to the life of a fledgling student.

So, what's next you might ask?

Advanced women's health -- a 1 credit course on the more advanced topics as it relates to women's health.  Breast disorders, female cancers, gynecologic illnesses that were not covered in the first women's health course, mental health disorders, and chronic medical conditions.  Yes, quite a lot for a measly 1 credit course!!  However, after taking the first WH course, I found that I REALLY enjoyed learning the material.  Some of it was very complex, but the instructors (once again!) made it much easier to understand!

Primary care (physical assessment) -- as you can imagine, this is a very, very thorough and detailed course in the total body physical assessment.  Some information is review, some will be new.  But it's very detailed.  More info to come on this subject........also, I will be checked off on these skills at clinical bound in just a few short weeks.

Skills for nurse-midwifery --- intrapartum, antepartum, postpartum and newborn examinations.  The fun stuff begins!  Fundal height measurements, Leopold's maneuvers, pelvimetry, the pelvic exam, how to handle OB emergencies (hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia).  Once again, many things review, some new, and all to be tested on while at clinical bound.

Finally --- CLINICAL BOUND!!!  Coming up very soon in mid July.  I cannot wait to meet my midwifery sisters again!!


3 comments:

Jessie said...

Yay! You are so close! I have a little secret - I went and applied for the CNEP program there and am Frontier Bound 8/13-8/16! My first term start October 8th. I'm excited and nervous. You might remember that I am fairly new to L&D, but I KNOW I want to be a midwife - but I am not always confident and sometimes am off in my cervical checks (though many times I am right on) - ie) yesterday I told an OB that a multip was 9cm, and they came in and were like - "No she's 7-8cm". She still had the babe in <1 hr. It's going to be an amazing journey as you know!

AtYourCervix said...

YEAH!!!! I'm so excited for you Jessie!!! Email me sometime: atyourcervix1@gmail.com -- I want to talk to you privately about something (it's good, I promise!)

RTBOP said...

Great blog I can see why you are #49 on the top 50 Pregnancy blogs list !
I have been reading and reading ...
yum !