Search Engine Box

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Getting ready for the Winter 2012 school term

I have to admit, I'm really getting excited about taking my advanced courses. Advanced intrapartum looks especially interesting - looks like we'll be covering: induction of labor, GBS treatment, preterm labor, PROM before labor begins, HIV, HSV, post dates pregnancy, VBAC, breech births, and c-sections (and the ensuing controversies associated with them). My kinda material!!! Woohoo!

Advanced postpartum and newborn: postpartum depression, anxiety disorders, screening and treatment, endometritis, newborn complications (jaundice, cardiac disease, respiratory disease), and touching on the emotional/psychological aspects of both the mother and the father. I glanced at some material covering fetal death/IUFD as well. One of the topics that I hold near and dear to my heart.

Looks like it's going to be quite a busy term.

Bring it on!!

PS - I'm sure I'll be complaining about how much work I'm doing, between working FT and doing my two classes. But, that's how I roll.

4 comments:

Diana said...

That sounds fascinating!! Please keep us updated! I'm especially interested to see if they'll mention any of the negative side-effects of GBS+ antibiotic treatment, like (I've heard) increased opportunistic E. coli infection, compromised gut health, nursing issues (from thrush), allergies/asthma later in life, etc. etc. etc.

Anonymous said...

Always exciting to learn about stuff you really want to know. It's a lot of material and the data is always changing. Lots of controversy over GBS treatment vs. non-treatment. One of the peds I know said that neonatal death from untreated GBS during labor has gone down because we treat it, before it was pretty high. Not sure if that is true, but reading up on it. However, from a life or death standpoint, I'd treat for GBS +, and have a living baby rather then avoid it because I'm worried about asthma/allergies later in life. It may have a small percentage attached to it, but I'd rather not chance the small percentage. Of course if your research minded you would decide for yourself what the best practice is, depending on what population you are working with, and what the state of their health is at the time.

Trooper Thorn said...

Any courses on preveting kids from becoming horrible teenagers?

Kaplan Step 1 Lecture Notes said...

I came across your blogs while surfing for some information. Trust me it was a marvelous read.