Search Engine Box

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Breastfeeding in public: My thoughts and opinions


The news has been bustling recently with nurse-ins at various locations (most recent: Target). I just thought I'd add my own 2 cents (or whatever it's worth) about breastfeeding in public.

Ladies: it is your right to nurse your baby wherever and whenever you want. Of course, not all states have laws that protect this right (see my previous post regarding Michigan), but breastfeeding is natural and is why your breasts were designed for your body.

I have nursed my children in restaurants, in stores, while walking and shopping at the grocery store, at family's homes, and in my own home. Basically: whenever and wherever my baby needed to eat. I never hid in bathrooms, changing rooms, or covered my baby's head and face with a blanket. Nor did I "flash" or show nipple for more than 1-2 seconds to get my baby to latch on. Most of the time, if you were watching me, you never knew I was breastfeeding, unless you got within my personal space and stared. Guess what? If you're that close to me and staring -- you're invading my personal space, so back off! Thankyouverymuch!

Do I care what others think of me nursing my baby in public? Heck no! I knew that I was giving my baby what was best: the perfectly designed food, at the right temperature, on demand when my baby needed to eat. Yeah, my kids ate frequently. About every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, around the clock. Yep, that's right. That's also completely normal. Just as breastfeeding your child in public is - normal. Anyone with an issue with seeing a woman breastfeed needs to: get educated, get over it, or don't look. Seriously.

I breastfed - proudly - 2 out of my 3 children. My first one wasn't breastfed because I was a young, naive 15 year old with no support around me to encourage successful breastfeeding.

Now, I am not negating women who choose to bottle/formula feed, or who for whatever reason cannot breastfeed. It's your choice on which method of infant feeding you would like to pursue for your child. Sometimes you have a physical problem that prevents nursing, or a supply issue, or your baby has a congenital disorder that prohibits breastmilk. That's ok. I'm not aiming this whole post to you to guilt you for your choices. I'm aiming this post to show that breastfeeding is normal, natural, and in no way should ever be prohibited in any public place, nor should it be relegated to a bathroom or changing room.

Bring your babies and your breasts and nurse in public! It is your right and your baby's right!


19 comments:

Jessica said...

Amen sister. :)

Cartoon Characters said...

Absolutely! Amen and amen! :)

Kimberly O. said...

Most definitely.

When I was pregnant with number two, I seriously hoped that someone would get in my bubble and say something about me nursing in public. No one ever did. We'll see what happens with number three who is due in just a month and a half or so. I am NOT one of those people who will just shuffle on by to a restroom or fitting room or out to my car just because someone is uncomfortable. If they don't wanna look, they don't need to look!

Jessica Ellis said...

Great post...people are so about womens' rights and choices (pro-choice, as it were) until it makes them uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Breastfeeding is natural" So is having a bowel movement, but not everyone wants to watch.

Becky said...

Eating isn't the same as having a bowel movement, anon 4:22. I don't want to watch someone taking a dump, either.
Breastfeeding I can totally get behind because I know it's the healthiest option for the baby, mother, and therefor society as a whole.
Does it make me uncomfortable to see nipple? Yeah. That's why I don't LOOK!
And yeah, I nursed both of mine where ever, whenever. I even used the neon sign called a nursing cover. Not so sure I'll use it with the one due to arrive any day now, though. :)

Jessica said...

Did someone actually just compare nursing a baby to having a bowel movement? Seriously Jackass!!!

Laura A. said...

Unfortunately, the "pooping is natural too" argument is an oft used one for those who think women should hide when breastfeeding. If I see it used one more time, someone's gonna get it.

Carol said...

My thought process is this: If I don't want to watch the teenagers make out in public I don't. I look away. This is the same idea. I as the adult have the ability to glance, look, or even walk away. I don't wait till they are done or interrupt their make out session to tell them to go somewhere else.. they wont care. Baby doesn't care either. That child is hungry and they deserve to eat whether I as an adult who can glance , look, or even walk away cares or not.

Jen said...

If a baby is nursing and latched on properly, there is hardly anything to see from the breast (and definitely nothing from the nipple). Teenagers dress more revealing nowadays than a nursing mother will ever be nursing her baby. TV and printed commercials are worse as well.

I am proud for every mother who has the courage to nurse in public and does not bend to the pressure of some people who try to make problems out of things that are non of their business.

Journey_On said...

Thank you for saying this!!

LauraT said...

I live in the Los Angeles area and breastfed all 6 of my babies wherever I needed to. I didn't cover them up with a blanket, but didn't "flash" my nipples either. I tried to be discreet and modest. Not once, EVER, did anyone ever say or do anything rude. I was glad, but I wouldn't have cared either. It seems strange to me when people report problems with public breastfeeding. Too bad.

fuzzy said...

Don't sit in the aisles, don't take up space if you aren't purchasing stuff in a coffee shop, don't sit on the floor of a government building.....

In short, act like a reasonable civilised human being, not staring angrily around dying to make your point, and you won't get hassled.

Anonymous said...

While I agree with everything you said (honestly, I support public breast feeding), there will always be that ONE woman who loudly makes it known that "breastfeeding is natural" and "I can feed my baby wherever I want" while whipping out the boob and letting the whole boob be exposed for way longer than the 2 or 3 seconds you took to get your baby to latch. And she is the reason for the backlash against public breast feeding. It is much easier to prohibit public breastfeeding than to try to legislate "discreet" public breastfeeding.

OMDG said...

I don't think I've ever seen that woman, anon 10:44.

Love the comic btw.

The Nerdy Nurse said...

Breast is Best! Thanks for preaching it sister, we need more people to advocate for breastfeeding babies and having no shame in the act!

Anonymous said...

I woud rather catch a slight glimpse of some mother breast feeding the endless plumber's smiles & whale tails I am assailed with daily from young "ladies".
now! that is something that should not be public.

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome post! Excellent cartoon at the end too.

Unknown said...

I breastfed my last child until he was 3 1/2 years old. I often breastfed in public and no one even knew. He's brilliant by the way! Breastfeeding is the most natural way but bottle is fine too. It's all in the mother's choice. Love the comic!!!