Search Engine Box

Friday, November 18, 2011

Week 8: winding down

Week 8 of the school term is winding down. Soon to start week #9.

I had an interesting phone conference with several other students and our instructor this week. It was a breastfeeding discussion type of "class". We all had areas regarding breastfeeding that we needed to research and be prepared to answer/discuss. It was interesting to hold a class that way. Except for that "one person" (not me) who kept dominating the conversation. I really hate that. Please be quiet - you don't have to answer or relate a story to each question/topic. Thank you. (Although, I do get your enthusiasm.)

Women's health is moving along swimmingly. Working this week on abnormal uterine bleeding and the sundry of medical diagnoses that are related to that topic. Next week, I'll be continuing with this topic, because it is such a broad area of women's health. Next week: test for this material, and submit a written case study. Fun fun! Believe it or not, I am really loving this women's health class. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much, but I know I have definitely found my calling when I can enjoy the variety of gyn related topics.

On the work front --- I've been the triage queen again. I actually don't mind working triage. It's a pretty hopping, busy place to be! Keeps my assessment skills fine-tuned. I also notice that so many women in their 2nd trimester have bladder infections. Of course, we have to work them up for preterm labor, and rule that out as well. But, more often than not, many (if not all) of these women lately have been discharged with a diagnosis of a UTI.

I also like triage because, quite simply, it keeps me busy. It makes the whole shift go so fast. Here is my issue: if things get s-l-o-w, I get b-o-r-e-d. Keep it busy, keep me moving, and I am a happy girl.

One more shift this week, then 2 lovely days off to get caught up on my studying!

2 comments:

The Nerdy Nurse said...

On behalf of those who tend to dominate a class discussion, I apologize. Our enthusiasm and passion often gets the best of us and we just can't hold it in.
Most of us have the best of intentions about it.
But I'm sorry for us, nonetheless. Just because we are overflowing with things to say does not mean that others do not have just as much value that should be added to the discussion.

Becky said...

Gunners. Bah.
I thought I was done with those when I finished school but last month I went to a home schooler's mother's night and there was a lady there who'd NEVER home schooled a day in her life and her oldest kid was just barely four. She talked more than the other 15 ladies there, combined. I wanted to put a pillow over her face. Or at least tell her to shut her pie hole so I could learn something.
There should be a red card for these types of situations, like in sports. The group shows you the red card and you have to sit in the penalty box with your mouth shut for 20 minutes. :D