Search Engine Box

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What is that? That's not a head!

It's been almost a week since I've posted anything!

I passed both of my classes - both with an "A"! Woohoo! I've been enjoying my break from school, and trying to just take it easy until classes start again on the 5th of July. I'm taking intrapartum (the first of two), and a class called market research for the summer term. I am definitely looking forward to intrapartum - I hope that this will be a fun class - considering that intrapartum is such a big part of being a midwife! The market research class is about formulating a business plan for bringing midwifery into my local area. I'm really interested in bring more midwives and midwifery care to this area - especially the idea of a birth center. Although, I have no idea how I would finance one. Seriously <--- one broke student midwife here.

I caught a baby at work the other week. Weeeeee! I love it! I also found a breech presentation during labor. Bummer, because she needed to have a c-section (it was a footling breech). Her exam was just weird. I knew something was wrong, but it was super hard to feel her abdomen and palpate the baby's position. My last exam showed that the baby was definitely vertex (head down). But the exam several hours after that...........instead of feeling the head, and feeling a loose, floppy cervix like my prior exam.....I just couldn't find the presenting part. It was so high up, and I also couldn't really get a good feel for what her cervix was doing. It was so totally different from her prior cervix exam. She couldn't tell me if she felt like the baby flipped in position, so I had the doc come in and check. He also felt the exam was strange, and did a quick ultrasound - footling breech! Ack! No wonder I couldn't feel what baby part was presenting first. That was a definite first for me! Good learning experience.

12 comments:

Elizabeth A. said...

Is there ever a good time to try/fight for a vaginal birth when the baby is breech?

Brianne said...

Ooh. You should try a (really ambitious) Kickstarter project to start a birth training & education center/birthcenter in your area. That way you can build clientele, and funds. AND if you don't succeed. . . . No harm no foul.
I'd give you $5.

LauraT said...

How common is it to have a baby flip like that in labor?

fuzzy said...

Birthcenters just aren't that safe. Seriously: you are still 15+ min away from a section in case of emergency in a center that isn't hospital based. So while they may provide an illusion of safety over homebirthing, there isn't that much difference.

AtYourCervix said...

Laura - not that common at all. It seems that this was a baby that liked to flip around alot (variable lie positioning). But still, quite a surprise!

Debbie Does Nothing said...

@fuzzy: Birth centers offer another option for women who have to choose between unattended at home or a hospital. There are lots of places where an attended home birth isn't an option, either for legal reasons or lack of providers. It also offers an option for moms who live much further from a hospital.

Paige Morrison said...

Check out the Small Business Administration website. They have a part for women starting businesses and they do grants. Nothing like free money! I don't know if it applies to what you want to do (is a birthing center a small business?), but you may at least get some leads. The website is sba.gov . Good luck :)

AtYourCervix said...

Thank you Paige!

Samantha @ MyaMaternity.com said...

While things can get really interesting and odd sometimes it is still fun to have the new learning experiences.

Sarah H said...

re the footling, was there anyone who could have tried an ECV to avoid the c/s? As far as I know as long as membranes are intact, it's not contraindicated during labour...

fuzzy said...

Why try to avoid a c/s? They just aren't as bad as they are made out to be. Fetal injury is much much worse.

And birthing centers really aren't a viable option unless hospital based. They may provide an illusion of security, but are missing many components necessary to cope with emergencies.

Anonymous said...

My son flipped breech during labor and was delivered safely at home. The risks of delivering a known breech vaginally for a multip are no higher than a section with a trained care attendant.

In fact attempting a section in my case would have been extremely dangerous given how fast he was delivered..he was birthed within 15 minutes of reaching full dilation. i feel eternally grateful i was not at the hospital.