Search Engine Box

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Road to excellence.....or dirt path to dingy depths?

I've been quite feisty lately. Especially at work. Hope it doesn't get me into *too* much trouble.

::grin::

Needless to say, I am not a fan of this whole "Magnet Designation" thing. Who's with me?

6 comments:

A Writer in a Nurse's Body said...

I'm with you 100%! I do clinicals in one hospital that is MAGNET status, and work part time in another that is not.

I can tell you, for sure, that I would choose my part time job any day (to work in) than the MAGNET hospital. THe magnet hospital is just so.....uptight. No one gets along there and no one has fun! At my job, we get the job DONE while still managing to have a nice time at work.
BTW I love your blog! Keep posting! :)

~WNB

Anonymous said...

My Magnet hospital is a JOKE! We somehow got Magnet status (I swear we had to buy our status because I don't know HOW we got it!)and it is awful there! They get around mandatory overtime by requiring mandatory on-call (which, trust me, is mandatory overtime). We have consistently unsafe patient:nurse ratios (I work in NICU and we should NOT be responsible for 6 patients! EVER! I don't care how "Stable" they are--this is NICU!)AND we have traveling nurses--which is a big "no-no" for Magnet hospitals. We have gone to the Magnet board, but so far, nothing has changed. UGH!

Cyndel said...

I don't work with hospitals, but I am curious...what is a 'MAGNET' hospital?
Anonymous I totally agree with you! No NICU nurse should be in charge of 6 Patients! That is scary especially for the parents I'm sure!

Dianna Hostettler said...

I don't think day cares are allowed more than four infants per care giver. How can the hospital get away with 6 intensive patients per nurse???

Anonymous said...

For the NICU--they will have someone else assist with care (such as a tech or LPN), but as the RN, I am legally responsible for that baby. I have to do chart review, do an assessment, verify labs, etc. We can have anywhere from 6-8 babies. These are your "feeder/growers" who are not on any medications or have any IVs, but still--it's a lot of work and NOT safe at all!

EDNurseasauras said...

Magnet is crap; it is a pseudo-marketing tool. Two weeks before my hospital got magnet status, they cut tuition reimbursement and other financial stuff, all of which affected nursing.

Can't wait for the magnet re-up. They will get the real scoop.