Search Engine Box

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Emergencies

I've been taking care of a lot of seriously sick pregnant and freshly delivered women lately.

Uterine rupture - caught before it happened (just barely)
Placenta previa - hemorrhaging, stat c/s, baby is stable
Preeclampsia - severe, BP out of control, labs going really wonky
Placental abruption - hemorrhaging, stat c/s, baby is stable
Mysterious illness with severe pain, vomiting, some wacky labs - still don't know what's going on with her

Just lots of sick people, keeping me on my toes. Needless to say, I have also been in the operating room for the last solid week of shifts. I don't like it.

I need some healthy moms and babies for my birth fix! (yeah, I'm a junkie.....)

6 comments:

Cartoon Characters said...

I always hated working in the OR.... :(

I hear you....nice NORMAL deliveries! :)

Anonymous said...

We have a weird strain of strep "throat" going around that presents with vomiting and pain but no sore throat. Just an idea...

Jessica said...

I hear ya!

We've had our run of stat c/s, seizing mom's, coding babies...etc...

One fun little " emergency" was running out to the parking lot to deliver a baby in the car! All went well.

John and Jenna Gensic said...

I just found your blog. My son was born at 28 weeks after my membranes ruptured at 25. I spent some time with many SCO nurses. It is interesting to read about this experience from a different perspective. Thanks!

Jenna

Kim said...

Well I will do my very best to not only NOT have any emergencies, but to also go into labor while you're working in the next few days/weeks! (--Kim from ICAN :) )

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that my book, Inspired Birth: A Fresh Perspective on Childbirth for Christian Maternity Careproviders has recently been published, and you can now enter your name in a drawing for a free copy of Inspired Birth. To see the details, read this post: http://birthamiracle.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/win-a-free-copy/ Thank you!