Search Engine Box

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Less than 20 weeks with ROM

We've really been having a run lately of women coming in at less than 20 weeks gestation with ruptured membranes. None of the outcomes have been good.

Two delivered before viability and their babies died.

One delivered just after viability and the baby is not doing well, the last I heard. This baby may have even passed away by now. Unfortunately, we never know the outcomes once they go to the NICU, unless the parents keep in touch with the L&D staff. (Yes, we are pretty darn good when it comes to HIPAA between units!)

I'm just sad for these moms. Totally sad. I can't begin to imagine the pain that they feel from losing their baby.

The sobs of grief will stay with me for an eternity.

8 comments:

K said...

A co-worker lost her twins at 23 weeks not too long ago. It's been very very very tough for her. Especially since we work with pretty much only babies, sick and dying babies. She is just coming back to work after 6 weeks of leave and although I haven't seen her (being pregnant doesn't help), I heard it's not good. :( My heart goes out to you for what you do.

Dana said...

I am so sad for them. And for the coworker that K knows, I couldn't even imagine going back to work and seeing babies day in a day out, after losing one. It is hard enough seeing pregnant women and babies in the grocery store.

I hope all of the women who have recently lost find the world of online support that is available. I don't know how I would haven't gotten through without it.

April said...

We've had a run of them also, over the last few weeks. Scares me a bit, considering radiation in Japan, oil in our water, etc... probably not related but there's sure been an increase in demises.

QoB said...

Desperately sad.

At your hospital do you try to resuscitate babies born 20+weeks but not 24? I had always thought 24 or maybe 23 weeks was the threshold for most hospitals.

Kara said...

We've had several around these parts as well---IUFDs used to terrify me and now I find I get satisfaction out of helping the families navigate through the grief. I'm helping our unit revamp some of their procedures--we're encouraging lengthening the process to give families more time to process. So our patients often go home for a day or two after finding out the news.

AtYourCervix said...

QoB: we resuscitate babies at 24 weeks. From 23 0/7 to 23 6/7 weeks it's more of a case by case basis. It depends on many things.

Below 23 weeks are comfort care only for those babies.

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

about a year ago we had a 19weeker who ruptured, then delivered at 25 weeks. baby is home now... we've kept up with the mom. Her sweet little girl is a bit delayed( as micro-premies are) and on O2, but alive. Makes me all the more thankful that I got to carry my babies to term and that they are healthy!

Angelique said...

Several years ago when I was a midwifery student I followed a woman that had SROM at 18/40. She made it through to 32/40 before delivering a relatively healthy baby. The poor kiddo had bilateral talipes and FOE/S also - ROM was due to chlamydia infection.