Search Engine Box

Monday, April 18, 2011

Local ICAN Chapter

I'm going to attend my first meeting at the local ICAN chapter this week. I was invited to come and speak by one of the members, which I find to be an honor! I was planning on just flying by the seat of my pants about what to discuss. However, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll focus on VBAC in the hospital setting - from the inside (nurse's) point of view.

Any other ideas, suggestions?

6 comments:

Samme said...

VBAC sounds like a kind of hot-button topic to me, but it could work out well. I am not going, but personally I think there is a lot of focus on 'birth experience' and not nearly as much after the baby is born (and isn't the baby the whole point?).

I read about a lot of people complaining about nurses taking the baby soon after the birth to go do whatever tests, to a nursery, whatever. I would be interested to hear the nurses point of view on skin-to-skin contact (with both parents if possible) and the first few hours/days of the baby's life with parent(s)in the hospital.

StorytellERdoc said...

I think VBAC is always a good topic--it seems to be one that people can manipulate and justify their numbers to their liking. From your perspective, it would be a welcomed topic for sure.

Let us know how it went!
Jim

Anonymous said...

I think VBAC is the perfect thing to discuss. I mean, this is ICAN we're talking about. :) Postpartum issues are important of course, but it's not really what ICAN is about. Have a great time!

AnotherTeenMom said...

It's been a long time since I've said hi... or kept up with my blog.... but I thought I'd let you know... I delivered my third child VBA2C. Had to travel to a doctor five hours away, but I did it.

If you want to read about it, it's under a post called "Averly" on my blog. Expect to see me around more often. :D

AtYourCervix said...

OMG! Congratulations!!!! Thanks for letting me know!

AnotherTeenMom said...

Not a problem. :)

You've been really helpful and inspiring to me since I started my blogging in 2008 and we stumbled across each other. I know how passionate you are about birth... And I thought my story would reaffirm things.

I think the best part was... Everyone told me I couldn't do it... but I still did. :)