Search Engine Box

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Winter term 2011

I cannot believe that I have finished two years of school already. Granted, the first year was Bridge courses, and the first year of midwifery courses were more general type of courses, but still........

And I'm doing this part-time still! Which means two more years to go.

I love being able to cross off each term and the classes at the end of each term.



Winter term 2011 is just around the corner! I am "only" taking one class, but it's a doozy: Antepartum Care 1. Yes, there is a "one" after it. That means there will be another one later on - the advanced version of antepartum care.

Looking over the syllabus for this course, it looks to be a general overview of prenatal care. Now, I have a strong background in intrapartum care as a nurse, but prenatal care as a midwife? I have much to learn. I really hope to get a lot of information (and enjoyment, believe it or not) out of this course. This course builds upon what I learned in reproductive anatomy and physiology and expands it into midwifery management and practice.

The reading assignments are what makes it a doozy! There are so many of them! The module reading list is five pages in MS Word (size 12 font, single spaced). Readings in Varney's, as well as additional textbook, and lots and lots of studies/articles/websites. It's a wonder that I still enjoy reading for pleasure after all of the required reading that I do each term in school.

I am so glad that I didn't end up signing up for another class in addition to this one for this term. I think I would have been too overwhelmed if I took another course with this one. But, that's just me. Full-time students take another class with this one. Me, however? I work 4 days per week. Plus we're moving in a few weeks. Plus the family at home - well, it all keeps me quite busy. I feel like I neglect those that I love due to studying as it is.

All good things come to those who wait (and work hard and push themselves to the limit, right?).

3 comments:

Studentrntiffany said...

You are such a rockstar. Seriously I cant believe how hard you are working! Now I just have to figure out a way to be pregnant in two years when you graduate...Hmmmm....

RehabNurse said...

I am doing the same thing...one grad class at a time. This last semester almost killed me. I wasn't sick, but so exhausted with the tests and papers.

Thankfully, my purgatory, I mean, degree will be complete in 2012.

BabyCatcher2b said...

Good luck! You'll do great!! I am taking Adv AP this term, along with PP/NB care...I'm scared!