Search Engine Box

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Graduate: my son

The kids are out of school ~ yeah!

My son graduated from high school last night. Wow, how the time flies. During the commencement, I was reliving his moments in Kindergarten, thinking about how little he was then. Now, he's a man. Where did my little guy go? ::sniffles::

I'm so proud of him for finishing high school. He has been through so much in his teenage years: the horrible divorce between his dad and I, moving back and forth from his dad's to my home, visitations, drama with his dad, and an eventual ending of his relationship with his dad on a very sour note.

To see him graduate from high school, and see what a mature person he has grown into, just amazes me. No problems with smoking, drinking or drugs. Not even weird hair dye jobs! (And trust me, I expected that last one to happen.) He maintained a good GPA in school, even though he was slacking at the end. He received special notice in the commencement booklet for high achievements in math, reading, and writing.

His plans for the future? Unknown. He's taking the summer off to slack and do whatever. I have told him that I prefer that he enroll at the very least in the community college and take some general courses in the fall, or find a FT job for the fall. He's aiming more towards finding a job, because he honestly has no clue what he's interesting in doing "when he grows up". He has shown interest in applying for a job at the hospital, maybe as a transportation assistant. I suppose, we shall see what he decides to do, come September.

7 comments:

Robert said...

Best of luck to him, and congrats Momma, it seems you did good!

mitchsmom said...

Congrats! :)

LivingDeadNurse said...

i can understand how hard it is for him not sure of what he wants to do...but unless he is sitting on a full scholar ship let him get a job and enjoy life. Give him time to decide what he wants. I was sooo tired of school and even if i would have applied for just general classes i don't think i would have put my whole heart into it. I think if they are unsure taking a full time job and realizing that minimum wage sucks usually does the trick. I don't think i would have ever done as well in getting my RN if I had done it straight out of highschool..just my opinion and u know what they say about that...lol

congrats!

Speculative Speculum (Elizabeth) said...

Congratulations! :)

LauraT said...

Congratulations on doing an excellent job raising your son in tough circumstances! You deserve special recognition, too!

StorytellERdoc said...

Congratulations to not only your son, but you as well! A job well done! Enjoy this time.

NYCRN said...

I've known many hard working, trustworthy and honest people who have started out as hospital transporters ( in NYC, they still say escorts, which of course i love because i'm sassy like that.)
Congratulations on the milestone.