Search Engine Box

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Triage queen

First shift back after going to the conference, then subsequently being sick for too many days, and what happens? We're slammed on L&D. Completely, utterly full. I'm triage queen for the shift. No dinner break, but I did manage to get in a quick pee break. I must have triaged at least eight women tonight. Two of which ended up being admitted.

So, even though it sounds like it's not much (triage), you, as the nurse are actually taking care of each patient. It's not like it's just......BING! Triage you to this bed. Next!

Oh no. More like - computer entry of various data (pages of it, or so it seems.......) on each person. Sign consents. Vital signs. Place on EFM. Document everything that's said and done (teaching, assessments, blah blah blah).

Needless to say, I'm tired. And that nagging asthma cough? Likes to raise it's ugly self when I'm in the process of starting an IV. NOT a good time to have a coughing fit!!

This nurse is tired. Off to bed!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you got some rest!! And that you are feeling better!

I can only imagine how busy its been for you guys, the last two times I was in L&D (as a pt) they were swamped and had 5 babies born on one night! Why is it so busy this time of year??

I thought everyone was gonna be busy during the time I have the baby in September (ya know we all gotta do something to stay warm!! LOL)

Anonymous said...

It's sad that triage nurses are so overworked like that. Would it be the end of the world if they added ONE extra person to a shift? I just wish that despite the fact that nurses are overworked and stretched to their limits, they could toss their frustrations aside for the sake of the patients. I'm not saying ALL nurses are rude and nasty, but there sure are a lot that are. Don't they understand that hospitals are scary places for patients, especially first time moms in labor and delivery? A little compassion would go a long, long way. Being miserable because you are working under crummy conditions isn't the answer. Being miserable just makes the whole day even worse. It's actually exhausting to be crabby, and it's been my experience that labor and delivery nurses are the crabbiest, especially to first time mothers. That's really unacceptable and if a nurse with a chip on his or her shoulder gets attitude back, it's only because they asked for it.