Search Engine Box

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mirena update

Before I start this post, I want to point out that this is my experience with Mirena. This in no way indicates what you, or anyone else will experience with it.

I had my Paraguard taken out after 6 years. My periods had gotten to be very heavy, after being half decent for quite a few years. My periods would last 10+ days, be quite heavy, painful, and just plain old annoying. Went to the CNM for my annual exam, talked to her about options to help decrease the bleeding. She suggested switching to Mirena.

Got the Paraguard out and the Mirena placed by the NP about one month after my annual exam. I expected bleeding. In fact, I had my period when the switch was made.

However, what I did not expect was to bleed every single blasted day for over three months. After the first month, I went back to the NP for a re-check and to have her cut the strings a little shorter. All was looking well. She told me to hang in there with the bleeding, it would go away in a few more weeks.

I gave it more than two months. The spotting/bleeding stopped at one point, but came back again after a few days.

What really was driving me up the wall was the breast tenderness. Wowsers! Never had it that bad, except when I was pregnant. Definitely wasn't pregnant though!! The PMS was worse as well.

To put it bluntly, I gave Mirena 3+ months, and wish to hell like I had never made the switch.

Went back to the NP. Told her I had had enough. Take the sucker out. She removed it. I made a consult appointment in a few weeks with the OB/GYN for a tubal ligation.

And here we are, one week after the Mirena was removed. Guess what?

No more bleeding or spotting.

No breast tenderness.

No PMS.

I'm starting to feel human again.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the IUD didn't work out.

Do not go for a tubal ligation. DO NOT. I did. It failed (i.e. I got pregnant) on the very first cycle I relied upon it as my sole method of birth control. I had an immediate abortion, followed by an HSG (unpleasant) demonstrating that one tube is still completely open.

The problem with a tubal ligation is one cannot tell if it's working until it fails, and this surgery can fail years afterwards (my situation was an extreme exception). In contrast, it's easy to test a vasectomy... look for live sperm using a microscope. Check on the vasectomy as often as you'd like - it's cheap and painless.

For the rest of my life, I must be extra-vigilant with birth control because even though the tubal ligation is useless for preventing pregnancy, I'm at high risk for ectopic pregnancy. This is because the tubes are damaged, even though one isn't closed.

Vasectomy. It's the way to go.

Anonymous said...

ESSURE!! I highly recommend it. No surgery, no anesthesia. At BMC (Boston Med Ctr.) they're doing it in the clinic.

Charity said...

I have Mirena and I love it. I never have a period, but I had the same exact symptoms you are having with the depo shot!

KAT said...

Oh, that sounds miserable. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I've always been wary of hormonal birth control. So we stick to condoms and temping. It takes more effort but it's working for us.

Rahshell said...

I had Mirena and stuck it out for 11mos. My periods were ok but I had terrible lower abdominal tenderness, my mental status was unpredictable and my libido was zilch. It really sucks that the crazy woman I had become was the one my hubby left for a tour in Iraq but he was leaving a just turned 1 year old alone with me :O I had it taken out 22 days after he left and I've been a normal person ever since. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have had what felt like EVERY side effect this BC method offered. I've already had a consult for a tubal after the birth of our second child, due March 6 hopefully she'll be my VBAC :)

Reality Rounds said...

Ugh! I bled heavily for 3 months straight after the Mirena. At one point I was bleeding so heavily, I thought I was miscarrying. After 3 months, I love it. No problems other than occasional breast tenderness and irregular/non-existent periods. Just goes to show we all react differently to different treatments.

Mary said...

For what it's worth, I LOVE my copper IUD (paraguard?) - sorry the iud thing isn't working out for you. And yes, if you're in a monogamous lasting partnership, vasectomies are the best choice, but if you're not...oh well!

Anonymous said...

>>if you're in a monogamous lasting partnership, vasectomies are the best choice, but if you're not...oh well!>>

If you're not, want a permanent method of birth control, can't tolerate an IUD and are not allergic to nickel (I am really, truly, verified allergic), I agree Essure is superior to a tubal ligation. Essure protocol includes an HSG to verify correct placement and occlusion. Again, there's no noninvasive way to tell a tubal ligation is effective until it fails.

Any reputable Ob/Gyn who is familiar with the literature will tell you vasectomy and tubal ligation do not have equal success rates. Vasectomy has a much lower failure rate, especially over time.

Prior to my failed tubal ligation, I did my research and chose an MD carefully. Nonetheless, it was a train wreck resulting in much suffering and permanent worry. I've never had birth control fail, ever, in over two decades of being sexually active. Furthermore, my insurance didn't cover the costs related to the diagnostics and abortion, and I couldn't go to Planned Parenthood because of the relatively high risk of ectopic pregnancy.

Do what you want, though.

AtYourCervix said...

Essure is out - I have a moderate allergic reaction to nickel.

The vasectomy idea - my boyfriend has offered to do that, since we are done having children. (We have been together for over 7 years.)

Jamie said...

Boo! I just got my Mirena about two months ago and I'm having the same problems. It's like I'm constantly on a really light period. Luckily no breast tenderness but CRAZY panic attacks. I'm trying to decide if I should stick it out a little longer or throw in the towel. I've heard if you make it past month three it gets much better.

Rebekah Costello said...

What's interesting to me, after reading all these comments and many others around the 'nets regarding Mirena, is that the company that makes them claim that the little bit of hormone stays in the uterus. Now, that makes zero sense to me and judging from the affects women have from the hormones in the Mirena, I'd say it's obviously not true, also!

I have an appointment on the 3rd to get a Paragard "Installed". Yay.

Lizzy said...

Human is good, most of the time.


We would love to invite you to a bloggers club where the best blogs gather for fun, learning and more fun. It is new and we are looking for great bloggers and thought of you. http://sexnfries.ning.com/

Anonymous said...

I did not have the bleeding but had terrible PMS. I left loads better when it was removed. Re Tubal Liagtion I have fantastic gynae who agreed with me laprascopically was not the way to go in case of failure. I had mini laparotomy and she removed chucks of my fallopian tubes (actually nearly all of them) to avoid the risk of failure. Brilliant so pleased I had it done. Was very very lucky with my gynae though.

May be discussed an open procedure instead??

Anonymous said...

I also have Mirena. I've had it for almost 3 years now. I remember a lot of bleeding in the beginning but now I rarely even have any spotting. I've been thinking about getting it removed for 2 reasons... 1. I know it's highly unlikely that they are related, but my problem with kidney stones coincided with having Mirena put in. 2. I feel like I'm insane for about a week every month. lol. I just get so emotional and I'm not normally like that.

I'm switching ob/gyns this year so I will most likely get it taken out then.

Anonymous said...

given the crunchy slant here, i'm surprised that you (and more others) aren't advocating charting and condoms. it's the most natural and healthiest way to go, imo. And with diligence and intelligence, it's extremely effective.

Anonymous said...

At Your Cervix:

If your boyfriend is willing, have him discuss vasectomy with a urologist. Then the two of you can decide together.

Re: Anonymous, open tubal ligation vs. laparoscopic: Higher risk of adhesions, and I am self-employed in a physical job. It would not be reasonable for me to allow six weeks for recovery from an elective laparotomy.

Re: Anonymous, charting and condoms: We went with charting and condoms. My boyfriend does not like the condoms. That's why he's going for a vasectomy. It was either condoms, vasectomy or no more sex with me.

Grey-Eyed Mom said...

Bummer! I'm sorry Mirena didn't work out for you. It seems like everyone has a different birth control that works for them. BCP made me crazy and depressed and caused IBS symptoms to worsen. The Mirena works wonderfully for me. I lightly bled and spotted for about 5 weeks, but after that NOTHING. I have one after both kids and it's been great. Although next summer, I think husband is going in for a vasectomy. We are done having kids and a completely synthetic-hormone-free me might be nice for the first time in nearly a decade!

Morgan said...

With a tubal, though, there seem to be quite a few women that are having a tubal and then having problems with bleeding/hormonal problems.

Anonymous said...

>>With a tubal, though, there seem to be quite a few women that are having a tubal and then having problems with bleeding/hormonal problems.>>

Believe me, Morgan, at this point, bleeding/hormonal problems after a tubal ligation would be okay with me if the surgery had actually worked! Mine didn't work AT ALL.

I can't speak for everyone, but the only complication I experienced was total, unexpected, surgical failure.

Anonymous said...

I had crazy light bleeding/spotting for about 5 months with the Mirena. It definitely got better. I LOVE hardly bleeding now (typical period is 2 days of light spotting when wiping) and can't imagine not having it in. However, I do get insane breast tenderness since having it in when I get my period. Other than that, no complaints. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

AtYourCervix said...

Anonymous - I'm not totally crunchy! Besides, the charting and condoms episode of my life is over. Latex allergy -- limited use of type of condoms (which are horrible, and do tend to break. No thank you.) Charting? Too much work for me.

I want to stay far away from hormonal contraception though. I have had too many side effects and issues with various types of hormonal BC over the years.

Besides - we are totally DONE with having children. Another baby (even in a few years) just would not be feasible for either of us. I'm 36 now. I'll be close to 40 when I am done with my midwifery education. For me, the idea of having children after 35 years is just too much. I already have three wonderful children (ages 20, 17 and 6), and have no desire to add to my brood. I'm honestly ready for them to be totally grown and out of the house! One gone, one soon to be gone, and the last one will be with us for another 12 or so years.

ENOUGH for me! I want to catch other women's babies!

Amanda said...

I know you're looking for the B/C angle, if you continue to have bad periods, I recommend endometrial ablation. I had one done for my awful cycles. Every 2 weeks, or 45 days, never predictable, horrid PMS and cramping... I had it done right before Christmas, and while the first 2 days were miserable, things have been better.

Annapolitan said...

I'm sorry the Mirena didn't work out but honestly, I have not heard great things about it. I've heard so many women talk about bleeding and other symptoms that went away when they had the Mirena removed.

If you're considering a tubal ligation, read up on post tubal ligation syndrome. Fifty percent of women have changes in their menstrual cycle (heavier bleeding, usually) after a tubal ligation. And other distressing symptoms. And believe me, women are not informed of this stuff ahead of time.

LauraT said...

My sister had an ectopic pregnancy with her Mirena IUD.Had to have one tube removed and then the other. I had a tubal ligation. If it fails, it fails. One possible side-effect to sexual intercourse, regardless of what you do to prevent it or how careful you are, is PREGNANCY. It is what it is, and children are not always convenient, are they? But, gees, I love the dickens out of them and wouldn't send one back - not any of my six!

Anonymous said...

>>If it fails, it fails. One possible side-effect to sexual intercourse, regardless of what you do to prevent it or how careful you are, is PREGNANCY.>>

Quite true, which is why my boyfriend is having a vasectomy. If it fails, it fails... I'll have another abortion. Without question.

It's great that you love all six of your children. For me, carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term is not an option. That's why I tried a tubal ligation in the first place.

emjaybee said...

Have you tried a diaphragm? We've been v. successful with using them for the last 12 years (no surprises yet) and they proved more comfortable than condoms. I can't tolerate any hormone b/c so it was that or vasectomy for us.

Anonymous said...

emjaybee:

We're both allergic to spermicide. Nice rash and itching.

LauraT said...

Dear Anonymous: I can only imagine how shocking and upsetting it must have been when you found out you were pregnant after your tubal ligation. As far as I understand the numbers, the failure rate for a tubal ligation is 3 or 4 in 1,000, given that you have a competent surgeon. I'm sure that with your boyfriend's vasectomy you won't be pregnant again. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

>>I can only imagine how shocking and upsetting it must have been when you found out you were pregnant after your tubal ligation.

The worst part of the entire situation was my physician's reaction when I became pregnant very quickly. As a result, she immediately accused me of being careless with my BC around the time of the surgery, ignoring my long history of successfully avoiding pregnancy. She was a true POS, actually. The worst kind of stinker.

>>As far as I understand the numbers, the failure rate for a tubal ligation is 3 or 4 in 1,000...>>

Check out the CREST study, which has been following 10,000 women with tubal ligations. Over ten years, the failure rate is actually around 1.85%, e.g., 18-19 failures/1000, and still increasing (failures continue to occur decades later and the study is ongoing). That's about 1 in 50 failures.

>>...given that you have a competent surgeon>>

I thought I had a competent surgeon, but check out Human Reproduction, June 28, 2007: Predicting negligence in female sterilization failure using time interval to sterilization failure: analysis of 131 cases. It's not a perfect study, however, the probability of my failure being due to negligence based on time to failure is greater than 90%probability. It actually doesn't matter whether it was negligence or not to me - I'm just saying.

>>I'm sure that with your boyfriend's vasectomy you won't be pregnant again.>>

Regardless of whether he has the vasectomy (not yet... in the near future), I have no doubt I won't be pregnant again. As my new physician said: you didn't fail. We failed you.

The overall problem with tubal ligation cannot be resolved: physicians tell women it's permanent, yet most utilize techniques (Anonymous above with the minilap is an exception) ensuring it can be reversed. The underlying issue is a lack of respect for a woman's ability to make a decision to be sterilized, permanently.

Kinda like many of the situations discussed on this blog.

LauraT said...

Thanks for your info. I know my doctor said that he cut and cauterized my tubes, not tied them. He asked me repeatedly if I wanted the TL before he did it and I was sure. He did it in the most permanent manner possible. I'm sorry your doctor was so rude and unprofessional after her surgery failed. The doctor who did my surgery, as he was prepping me, actually suggested that maybe my surgery would fail. He said this in a hopeful tone (I'm not kidding!) because "you do babies so well." The nerve! I reported his comment to my insurance company. If I was really afraid of my TL failing (which I'm not), that comment would have really bothered me more than it did. Regardless, I do believe that he did it permanently and properly.Ugh! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

I had the mirena in for about 5 months. I bled every single day of that 5 months - and not just spotting either.

Warning TMI coming :)

After a day of heavy, heavy bleeding the IUD came out spontaneously. It was encased in something similar to a placenta which was about golf ball size. I think that my body thought that I was pregnant and I had a "miscarriage". I bled very heavily for a few days and the Dr did an ultrasound and said there was so much tissue in my uterus that they thought I was having a miscarriage and did a pregnancy test.

Anyway, I know one person who has had a good experience with them and many, many more who have had horrible experiences. IMHO there are much better methods of birth control out there.

Anonymous said...

Lct4j:

>>he cut and cauterized my tubes, not tied them>>

Actually, "tied" is a misnomer. The major techniques via laparoscopy are clips, rings, or cautery (there are also various open surgical techniques).

It would be highly unusual to both cut and cauterize, BTW. Usually cautery is considered sufficient, though cautery technically cuts while burning.

>>He did it in the most permanent manner possible>>

It sounds like you have a good doctor, but failure rates are comparable for cautery vs. ring. A more permanent manner would be to remove a segment of the tube via open surgery, as was done with Anonymous above. Of course, recovery is longer for open surgery vs. laparoscopy.

>>I reported his comment to my insurance company>>

During your followup appointment, did you also mention to him that he made you uncomfortable?

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

In summation, you want a highly reliable form of birth control. I don't ever want to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term.

This is an important distinction.

Anonymous said...

Ugh the mirena. I got it for help with controlling endometriosis. I had a lap on 5/7 and the endo specialist said she could just pop it in when she was done while I was still out. She confirmed it was placed. It was confirmed placed again by her 2 weeks postop and then again a month after that at my annual with my ob. I bled constantly on it. I had constant headaches. Then in September, I had this horrible painful cramp on the left side. I thought I can't possibly be ovulating (I was also taking continuous loestrin as well to stop periods!). It literally doubled me over and I had to lay on the bed for a few minutes. Then it passed. For the next month I was really sick. My pcp thought I had the swine flu. I had horrible back pain for a month. I have a lortab rx for endo and joint pain for suspected rheumatoid arthritis. So I just took that. I was severely nauseated. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and drug myself to the ER. I had taken 10mg of lortab and 800mg of motrin and it didn't touch the pain! I couldn't get rid of the nausea. I thought I had a kidney infection. It came back clear. The PA said well if you insist we can do a cat scan and see if it's a stone (this after being there for 3 hours with no pain or nausea meds because I didn't look like I was in enough pain - b***h). I demanded the cat scan because as I told her something was seriously wrong. She had me drinking a ton of water while severely nauseated. After the scan, they started asking me wierd questions. When was the IUD placed. Was it checked. By who? Finally the PA slinks in and says ummm we think your iud is out of place. WHAT? I hear them call my ob and hear them describe my symptoms to him. I am thinking that poor girl and they are calling him at 2am. Wait that is me they are describing. Guess what? My IUD has expelled itself and while expelling it perforated my uterus. It was in my left abdominal cavity behind the uterus! I had to have emergency surgery. Then the ER dr came in and says would you like some pain and nausea meds? You think? Um YES. I got a nice big dose of diluadid and zofran. Was admitted immediately. The floor nurses rocked and made jokes to make me laugh. My ob took it later that morning. Fortunately he was able to do it with a lap. I was terrified and signed consents for a laparotomy.

Joy@WDDCH said...

Ugh- that sounds awful! Anytime you use a hormonal contraceptive though you will have some crazy side effects. Blech! Glad you got it taken out.

As someone else said- he could also get a vasectomy. Totally unsolicited and it probably already crossed your minds. Good luck!!!