Search Engine Box

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Medical Model vs Midwifery Model

Just some free thoughts flowing through my mind right now......


Medical Model of Care:
  • Pregnancy is a pathology
  • Things can and will go wrong during pregnancy and birth
  • Intervention is necessary
  • Patriarchal
  • "I know more about your body than you do"
  • Every little sign/symptom means a potential problem that must be treated
  • Birth is inherently dangerous
  • Nothing by mouth or just ice chips while in labor
  • Continuous fetal monitoring, even for a "low risk" pregnancy
  • Mandatory IV site in labor
  • High induction and C/S rates


Midwifery Model of Care:
  • Pregnancy is normal
  • Autonomy is important for women during pregnancy and birth
  • A woman knows her body best
  • Empowerment
  • What can I do to help you?
  • Anything is possible
  • Looks at the entire woman and her family system
  • Birth is inherently safe
  • Eat and drink as you please when in labor
  • Intermittent auscultation in labor
  • Listening to women
  • Low induction and C/S rates


3 comments:

Tiffany said...

'nuff said.

Anonymous said...

The medical model sounds like its straight out of the 19th century, doesn't it?

Doctor D said...

I am an MD, but my wife and I chose a midwife to deliver our child for these exact reasons. Doctors are useful for high-risk pregnancy and a doctor was on call if anything when wrong, but nothing did.

The midwife treated it as a perfectly natural process. My wife actually has fond memories of delivery which she had been dreading thanks to our midwife.

Lots of natural and safe processes have gotten over-medicalized these days. I'm shocked how many people feel they must see their MD every time they get a common cold. I reassure them, "Your body will do a wonderful job handling this without me. All I can do is cause trouble here."