Search Engine Box

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Month four as a new CNM

Oh...hi there!  It's been a while since I have blogged, hasn't it?  Life as a new CNM is certainly busy.  I tend to do a lot of resting at home when I am off (not in the office, not on call).

I guess it's time for a bit of an update.

I am now four months into my new career as a CNM.  I feel that I have grown and learned so much in just those four months!  I have gone from very, very green, to just a lovely color of sage.  Yep, still a newbie.  Still learning things, every single day!

I am getting much more comfortable in the office setting.  So much so, that I rather enjoy office days!  They are getting to be busier as I start seeing more and more of the prenatal clients, as well as tons of annual exams/GYN issues.  I think I've said this before - I was really lacking in GYN experience as a student midwife.  I honestly didn't think I would need much in that area, due to my (now defunct) laborist midwife position I was supposed to be starting last summer.  Well, well, well.  Look what we have here......I am a full scope CNM.  Sure wish I had more GYN experience under my belt now!

It's a good thing that I see a good 50/50 mix of pregnant vs GYN clients in the office.  I am learning tons about well woman care, as well as GYN problems.  Talk about a crash course in gynecology.  I've treated more STDs than I care to imagine (all different types, thank-you-very-much), and have seen and felt several different GYN abnormalities.  Not enough to be anywhere near "experienced", because I tend to do a lot of testing and referring of my GYN complications to my surgeon/MD consults.  Oh, and breast issues?  Wow, have I learned a bunch about those.  Breast cancer - such a scary thought.  By the way, still have lots and lots to learn about breast issues/gyn problems.

When in doubt?  Get a good history and physical exam, order labs/imaging, and refer to a surgeon/MD.

I would like to learn how to place IUDs and learn how to place Nexplanon.  For now, I just refer my IUD insertion patients to the providers in the office who can place them.  One of these days, I will get my tush in there while they are placing one, so I can get some hands on experience to learn how to place them as well.  It's one thing to learn on a plastic model, and quite another to do it on an actual person/uterus.

Still learning about birth control methods.......thank goodness for my cheatsheets and pocket guidebooks.  I still have questions, and ask my fellow CNMs about how to best manage different problems related to birth control (pills, depo provera, etc).  So, so, so much to know!

I also seem to have the tocolytic effect when I am on call.  Very few births :-(  Boo hoo.  I miss being able to catch those slippery little chubalubs!

5 comments:

Karyn said...

What birth control cheer sheets do you use? I am a CNM student and contraceptive counseling has been tough for me in the office setting.

AtYourCervix said...

I have made up my own cheatsheets as I have been in clinicals as the student, and as a provider now. I use the little blue book "Managing Contraception", and I write notes directly into it for different things. Ex. Desogestrels (Kariva, Apri), good for skin/acne. Junel - NOT good for HAs, while LNG progestins are good for HAs.

Elizabeth Scala said...

Great for you! Congratulations on your role and so excited that you are learning, growing and enjoying. I must say, I love the title of your site. 'At Your Cervix'- so catchy and fun. Great article and I enjoyed the emotion in the story. Enjoy the day, Elizabeth

B.Hernandez - Nurse Oahu said...

Keep on learning. I'm a student nurse and every day is new learning experience for me. I can relate to what you feel. Thanks for this blog.

Brooke said...

Thanks for another great post and for this awesome site. Loads of great info for midwifes and expectant mothers.