I had an interview for a CNM position at a birth center - can we say, "dream job"! Hoping to hear back from them soon!
In the meanwhile, I've been slugging along with getting my CNM state license. In PA, CNMs are regulated by the Board of Medicine, while my RN license is regulated by the Board of Nursing. A comparison of obtaining one's RN license versus getting one's CNM license -- the RN license is a piece of cake! The CNM license.......a whole 'nother beast entirely.
I have submitted the bajillion and one things to get my CNM license to practice, and am now just waiting on the Board of Medicine to put it all together and issue me my interim license. Once I have a collaborative MD agreement (aka, a job), I can submit that, to get my real and official license to practice as a CNM in Pennsylvania.
Holy heck........why doesn't this state have a Board of Midwifery? Let's just cut through the crap here. Yes, we are nurses. But we are advanced practice nurses. Independent providers. Let's cut the crap and get rid of the whole MD collaborative agreement while we're at it. Other states have gotten rid of this pesky piece of baloney for CNMs. PA - let's get with the program here. If I take care of someone who needs a higher level of care, I refer them to the appropriate care. Just like what a family practice provider (doctor, etc) would do. Practice within your scope, and there is no need for this hand holding by a physician.
New York state got rid of the requirement for a collaborative agreement.......come on Pennsylvania!! ACNM even has a position statement, opposing this written required collaborative agreement.
Summary of first weeks as a CNM: still not licensed by the state, no firm job offer. Still searching for the right first CNM position. Considering out of state if I can't find something in Pennsylvania. Still working as an L&D RN, but getting more and more frustrated by the medicalization of pregnancy and birth!
4 comments:
Hi AtYourCervix,
I wish you good luck with your new job offer. Everything happens for a reason, and as annoying as it may be sometimes, its all part of the plan, right?!
Anywho, my name is Taylor Lunin and I’m reaching out on behalf of the I’m Here Movement and professional speaker and author, Marcus Engel.
The I’m Here Movement is a brand new effort with one goal: remind health care professionals that simple human presence is the cornerstone of caregiving. Based around Marcus’ book, “I’m Here: Compassionate Communication in Patient Care”, Marcus’ story helps nurses reconnect with the reason they chose this field in the first place.
You can learn more about the movement at:
www.ImHereMovement.org
We would love to send you a complimentary copy of “I’m Here: Compassionate Communication in Patient care.” No obligation, no strings attached. No shipping and handling. Just a free book which provides front line health care pros with a glimpse of life from the patient’s perspective.
If you’d like to give it an honest review on your blog, that’d be appreciated. If not, just consider it a free book! Feel free to reply with your preferred mailing address and we’ll get your copy in the mail ASAP.
Sincerely,
Taylor and Marcus
Taylor@marcusengel.com
P.S. To learn more about Marcus, just visit:
www.MarcusEngel.com
arizona can be crazy sometimes (okay, a lot of times) but that is ONE thing we have going for us in the wild wild west - no collaborative agreements! and we are overseen by the az board of nursing. i think the perfect first job is out there waiting for you - i hope you find it soon! i am looking forward to having some down time. i take my comprehensive exam next week and i'm a total panicky mess. you're giving me hope that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
I live in a purgatory state for APNs, so I understand.
It's all about protecting their wallets, plain and simple.
They see any NPs as a threat to the income stream.
Great blog youu have here
Post a Comment