Search Engine Box

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Learning, always learning

I know I've said this before, but I'm always learning.  Whether it is in my clinical rotation, or at my L&D RN position, I always learn something new.  Always.

This week, I had my first day with a second midwife for clinicals.  I learned so much!

1. I like electronic medical records.  Especially when the program is very user friendly.
2. I like doing annual GYN exams.  You meet a lot of very interesting and diverse women/clients.
3. How to remove an IUD
4. That a lot of women use birth control pills for birth control.  A LOT.
5. Speaking of birth control pills, I have so much to learn about them.  So many different types, dosages, names, uses.
6. Don't be afraid to kneel on the floor to find a cervix during a speculum exam (words of wisdom from an MD friend).
7. It is definitely possible to do a thorough H&P in less than 10-15 minutes.
8. Electronic prescription programs are da bomb!  Click, click, send!
9. There is more than one way to skin a cat (figuratively, not literally).

I truly cannot wait to go back and learn more!

2 comments:

LauraT said...

Are there any birth control pills that you find to be the "best fit" for the widest range of women? Since there are so many out there, any recommendations you find to be the most user-friendly? Also, glad to hear you can do a thorough H&P in 10-15 minutes. To be able to get that done quickly, and make the patient feel cared for, is invaluable!

AtYourCervix said...

Laura - I have no recommendations or thoughts on BCPs yet. I just go by what my preceptor is advising for now. She said that you (as a CNM) end up having your favorite go-to BCPs that you recommend, depending upon the different levels of the hormones in them, and the patient's history of OCP use. Also, it's dependent upon risk factors. Like I said, sooooooo many different BCPs out there! Literally hundreds!