Search Engine Box

Saturday, July 28, 2012

You win some, you lose some

Hey hey!  Look who has not dropped off the face of the planet!  Yes, ME!  Pinch me folks.  I'm living la vida loca.  Working as an L&D nurse, and finally....I am starting my clinicals as a student midwife!

Needless to say, I'm a busy lady!!

A good friend of mine has emailed me and told me that he is getting out of medicine.  Such a shame, because he really has made a difference in many women's lives.  He's a rogue OB - or at least he used to be -- did VBACs, vaginal twins, fighting for what women want for their own births, helping them to be empowered.  Unfortunately, the patriarchal system of OB is forcing his hands to be still.  Yes, my friend, if you are reading this, you know that I'm super saddened to hear that your life has had to take such a different turn.  But, as always, I wish you well on your new future endeavors.  xoxo

Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've heard or have been witness to how the medical system eats it's own.  We lost an excellent OB in my own hospital system, due to who knows what the "real" reason(s).  Budget cuts, lack of his bringing in the $$$, downsizing, whatever.  The hospital system lost a super awesome teaching doc who was a genuine asset to the birthing women in my community.  I know he has moved on to new endeavors, but I sure do miss his presence on the labor unit.

So....what's a soon-to-be new graduate midwife to do?  I certainly don't have a position lined up yet anywhere.  I'm open to all possibilities.  I just cannot relocate/move.  So, willing to drive/commute to wherever opportunities may lie in my future.

That birth center of mine?  It's still in the infancy planning stages.  How the heck I'm going to come up with the capital to start it is a huge lingering question.  But, in the meanwhile, this girl has gotta find a position as a CNM next spring/summer.  Or else, I'll just continue to be "L&D RN".

8 comments:

Becky said...

That super sucks. I have women willing to drive cross country to find a provider who will attend VBAMC. My list of people to recommend is growing ever shorter. ALMOST makes me want to go to medical school. Almost.

LauraT said...

I'm glad that we have three hospitals in my area (about 1/2 hour without traffic - that's Los Angeles for you!) that do offer VBAC's with midwives. There is another one further away that offers VBACs too. They have good success rates. I'm glad to be able to direct women to those places. I guess that's one of the advantages to living in a large metropolitan area.

AtYourCervix said...

My clinical site is *very* VBAC friendly. Also, very homebirth midwife transfer friendly. Such a big difference from where I currently work as a nurse.

Mariah said...

Is that OB friend by any chance the man that wrote the Labor & Deliverance blog? I was so sad to hear that he wasn't going to write anymore, and I would be even more sad to heat that he's no longer practicing.

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear about that OB. Women need good ones, and good ones need to be treated well.

Leif@LTRBP said...

This might sound trite ... well and considering you don't have ANY spare time.
Without overloading yourself or of course not getting yourself into trouble..
have you ever considered documenting these industry eccentricities?
This material could be clumped with other stuff and could certainly be fodder for some industry/political change.
Just an idea.. you seem to be 'in the trenches'.
Good luck on finding a new clinic upon your successful graduation !

Leif

AtYourCervix said...

Great idea Leif. Thank you.

Curlygirl said...

That's sad! This blog is awesome thanks for the insite!!