Search Engine Box

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Receiving compliments

I really feel good and proud to be a nurse when I receive feedback and positive comments from the people that I take care of.

Just a few days ago, I had a muslim couple that I was caring for after the birth of their baby. The baby had to go to the NICU for some transitioning, but then I was able to bring him into the parent's room. Immediately (after checking ID bands), I asked the dad if he would like to say his prayers to the baby. He was shocked that I knew about that cultural aspect of muslims. I am always in awe of the different beliefs and customs that surround me every day at my job. The muslim prayers always have been one of my favorites, and they bring tears to my eyes.

Later in the evening, after the father of the baby had left, my patient told me how surprised and happy she and her husband were that I was knowledgeable and open to muslim beliefs after the birth of a baby. To me, it was part of my job. (Making sure that the father said the prayers in the baby's ears before the mother held the baby.) To them, it must have made a huge impression, I suppose, to be treated as individuals, and respected for their beliefs.

Another time, a few weeks ago, one of my co-workers (who is also a midwife student) said that she saw a patient in the office that raved about how wonderful I was during their birth experience. The patient said that she didn't like the doctor, nor the midwife who was on that night when she gave birth --- but absolutely LOVED the nurse (who she described as me, to a "T"). Talk about making *me* feel good!

I know that I do my absolute best to give 110% to the families that I care for, but it is so heartwarming to hear feedback after the birth experience. Unfortunately, as an L&D nurse, I don't see my patients/families again unless they come back to the hospital having another baby.

And this reason (last paragraph) is one of the big reasons why I am becoming a nurse-midwife. I want to be able to see, care for, and interact more with the families than just on the L&D unit. I crave those long term, therapeutic relationships with these wonderful families.

On another note, I ran into the mom of a former patient from L&D, and she gave me an updated picture of the "little" man I helped come into this world. What a big boy he is now! I keep his pictures on my "inspiration board" near my desk at home.

I LOVE WHAT I DO!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to see one of my former nurses who caught baby #5 at an NST for baby #6. I let her know how happy I was to see her, and wish I had acknowledged her on the birth certificate (not knowing I could do that in KS). I asked for her during birth #6, and was told she was on the postpartum side. Bummer, because I didn't have a good nurse like her and it was an awful experience. Thank you for being a good nurse for the families on their special day. I can remember all those "good" nurse faces and appreciate all they've done for me.

Blessings!
Dawn

Deanna said...

Being a muslim myself, you have NOOOO idea how special your actions TRUELY are!!!

Often, as nurses (which I am), we are so action oriented that we forget about what the cultural and spiritual needs are of the patients & families because there are things that "must" get done in our job. It takes a truely special nurse to take a minute (and literally that's ALL it takes) to have the prayer said to the baby.

When my daughter was born, they put her on my chest and while the nurses were still doing their job stimulating my daughter, my husband was able to say the prayers to my daughter - and everyone in the room remained quiet so that the first words that were heard by her was the call to prayer - creating a special bond (we believe) with her and our creator. I wish that there was more nurses (and soon to be CNM), CNMs and physicians like you.

Keep up the AMAZING work!!!

April said...

Wonderful post! Sometimes that's just what you need to keep you going, huh? :)

Dana said...

You sound like a wonderful nurse. I hope that everyone gets someone as great as you when they are delivering their baby. It makes a huge difference.

Antigonos said...

Yes, it is the continuing relationship with the family that is one of the big advantages of being a nurse midwife rather than simply a delivery room nurse.

Currently I work with both successful fertility patients and high risk patients throughout their treatment/antenatal period, some for the second and third babies. It's great.

Anonymous said...

I write letters to the nurse manager if I get a great nurse detailing who I had and why I was so pleased.

I know I'll be asking if two particular nurses from my last birth are on when my next baby comes. Conversely, there are a couple nurses I know I do *not* want and will ask for new ones if they are assigned to me.