Search Engine Box

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Vaginal twins

Yep! We still do those! Two babies, both vaginally born. Term pregnancy, no complications of pregnancy, spontaneous onset of labor, and TA-DA!!! Vaginal birth x 2!!!

Always good times helping women become mothers!

16 comments:

Dr. G said...

That is SO awesome!! I hope to learn to deliver twins during residency!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

You rock !~! Love twins.

Journey_On said...

Woo hoo, that's wonderful!!

Andrea said...

Cool! Were both head-down at the outset? If not, was Twin A head-first? Did Twin B flip on its own, or did they do a version, or deliver B breech? Just trying to picture the mechanics

StorytellERdoc said...

Makes all the other stuff "small" stuff, yes? Congrats on a job well done! ANd to the lucky family...

Cartoon Characters said...

Is this unusual there? Everywhere I have worked in Canada, does twins vaginally....

Becky said...

Did the doc make mom deliver in the OR? That's the standard here for twin births if mom wants to try vaginal.
And YAY! I love it when normal birth gets the support it deserves.

Awake and Dreaming said...

If Blogger had a "like" button, I'd "like" this.

Jenna Anderson said...

i had the privilege of supporting a woman earlier this year as she had an unmedicated vaginal twin birth. it was an absolute honor and one that i will never forget. i witnessed the beauty of a determined woman and a wonderfully supportive and dedicated OB.

i share about it on my blog: http://thebirthofadoula.blogspot.com/2011/03/four-precious-babies-three-incredible.html

(scroll down towards the bottom of that post if you just want to read about the twin birth)

Ashley said...

We had a pair of vaginal twins born on my unit this week too! ....with a breech delivery of the 2nd twin!!! Love it!!

AtYourCervix said...

Both were presenting head down and stayed that way. We try to deliver all sets of twins in the OR, just in case the 2nd baby causes problems and need an emergent c/s. We have also had twins born in our labor rooms. But those are the exception to the 'rule'.

IASoupMama said...

I delivered my twins vaginally 7 weeks ago. I was in the OR and under an epidural, but beyond thankful that my OB had as much confidence as I did that I could deliver my girls vaginally.

In my case, Baby A was vertex and Baby B transverse, though I was pretty sure she would slide right down vertex after A was delivered. I was right! A was out in two pushes, B followed 9 minutes later.

I will say that the nurses who arrived to the OR for the delivery were all sort of surprised that I wasn't being prepped for surgery. And, yes, the OR went from taut to relaxed as soon as it was clear that B was headed out the right direction.

Congrats to the family and all of the wonderful people who assisted their birth -- I can't say enough good stuff about my care, so I imagine they're pretty thrilled, too.

ob said...

This is becoming a lost procedure. A recent residency graduate informed me that she would not be doing any vaginal twins as she had never seen this and "besides it doesn't pay as much as a section". I am proud that the majority of my moms deliver their twins vaginally. Go Moms!

Jess said...

Love it. My twins are now 2 1/2. They were born vaginally after SROM on Baby A while at home. 37+ weeks. Unknown genders til time of delivery (ended up with fraternal girls), 6lbs and 6lbs 15oz.

Both were vertex. Baby B arrived 28 minutes after her sister. OB let me labor down for 13 minutes because she was still quite high. Once she was engaged, he broke her water and she was born 15 minutes later (took a bit of work since she was almost a full pound bigger!). She surprised us after the birth because she had a velamentous cord. Luckily, no complications and both girls were very healthy...delivered in a regular labor room too!! Fully expected the OR, but never got moved!! I'm also glad not everyone was there to "observe" or "witness" the birth because vaginal twins can be quite rare and I delivered at a medium sized teaching hospital - 3 nurses (1 for me and 1 for each baby) and then the OB. That's it.

So anyway, love to hear about twins being born vaginally! :)

Anonymous said...

twins vaginally here also! My twins are 5.5 years now. Had them in a hospital, delivered at 40 weeks, was induced ( one was showing low fluid though I question that as it was a huge gush when the water broke) labored overnight (epidural), 10 in the morning. pushed for a while and doctor used a vac for a sec to pull help him ( :( ), but was fine. The she did a planned breech extraction for my daughter. (I would have liked to give her time to flip).. so they were born. 6lbs 14 oz and 6lbs 12 oz , very healthy , came home 2 days later with me. Perfect? No, but satisfied.. no c-section and great start to nursing that ended years later :)

LOVE YOUR BLOG! I dream of being an L&D nurse one day.

Anonymous said...

Oh and the nurses were GREAT! (This was in NYC)