
Yet another "device" in the early stages of development. This time, to detect cervical changes to help prevent/stop preterm births.
To me, this device prototype looks:
1. Painful and huge
2. You want to stick that where???
3. Will in fact irritate the cervix more. Hello - manual stimulation to the cervix/a device touching the cervix is going to trigger more prostaglandin release --> contractions!
16 comments:
and I don't even like to think that they are now using it on animals.... that's inhumane, and when they get the "bugs" worked out....inhumane for humans too.
Even something small in the hoo-ha doesn't feel very good. Something that looks like that is going to be, like you say, uncomfortable...
As someone who's had issues with cervical incompetence, you couldn't pay me enough money to let that anywhere near my cervix. Obviously this was designed by someone who has no concept of female genital anatomy.
It's not a coincidence that thing reminds me of a "pear of anguish". No way I'd consent to that.
They should call that thing a GUY-NO-CHECK. If the OB is a guy, he doesn't check, just puts it in...MENtal illness, MENstrual cramps, MENtal breakdown, MENopause GUYnocologist & when we have REAL trouble, its a HISterectomy....
Men like to name things after themselves....things that bother or effect women no doubt XD
So am I to understand that a woman is supposed to go visit her OB, have this thing inserted and go home with it still in her vagina? To be left there indefinitely? That seems ridiculous but that's the only way I can see it working the way they say it would. Creepy. I, too, was thinking "those poor animals they are testing on!"
If you read the article, it says the device was designed by a team of 4 Johns Hopkins students, 3 of whom are women. Their advisor is also a woman.
All I can say after seeing that is that I got all vagal like and wanted to throw up.
That looks like something straight from the depths of Cthulu's nightmares, created to lay its viscous black eggs in the innocent blood of children, the screams of their corrupted souls poisoning the very air as we tremble and weep.
Or something. It's terrifying.
How.....vibrant of a description Joany.
It looks like some kind of medieval torture device. Stick it in a witch's vag - if she complains, she's a witch, if she doesn't she's not.
Or maybe it will replace female circumcision. The girl will stay a virgin because no guy would want to get his thing anywhere near that.
So it is like an IUPC but the sensors touch the cervix and lower uterine segment to detect contractions and water doesn't have to be broken? Am I looking at that right?
And no way you could go home with that unless you would be on a monitor at home because that thing has to send something somewhere?
Alicia - an IUPC need ruptured membranes to be placed. It has a pressure sensitive tip that is inserted into the uterus via the cervix and measures the direct intensity of the uterine contractions in millimeters of mercury (mmHg)
What the hell ever happened to keeping your fingers and bizarre instruments of torture OUT of the woman experiencing premature labor?
I feel a little sick after looking at this.
Another thought, after re-reading the press release: when do they propose to have this horrific THING put inside women? For their entire pregnancies? That sounds like fun. Along the same lines, if they're inserting this thing into women's bodies before any sign of preterm labor (which is the impression I get, that they want this to be a standard part of pregnancy that you wear this thing in your vagina for 9 months), how on earth do they propose to know what is normal cervical change that is supposed to happen throughout pregnancy, and what is actually preterm labor? How many thousands of women are going to end up on strict bedrest, treated with magnesium or other tocolytics, and subjected to intervention after unnecessary intervention, only to find "oops, we guess that was supposed to happen after all. Sorry for completely destroying your mental health for the last however many weeks of your pregnancy."
OUCH!
I cringed just looking at that.
Post a Comment