I recently bought a new bookshelf unit to store more of my books (not just school texts, but also pregnancy/birth and fiction books). Well, I quickly managed to fill up almost every space on the new shelving unit. (See the 2nd picture - that's just SOME of my school texts!) The first picture? Did you notice what it originally was? If you guessed an entertainment center............you would be correct!! Yes, I turned an entertainment/TV center unit into bookshelves. Quite ingenious, no?
Below is the new bookshelf unit. Already full. With books in crates and piled on the floor in front of it.
I love it! Books become such treasured friends, don't they? How ironic that your old entertainment center is now your bookcase. So telling, huh? You probably don't have much time to watch tv because you are so busy working and studying. Good for you! So happy that you're getting moved in and escrow is behind you!
Great use for an entertainment unit. They're always up on Freecycle now that people mostly have thin TVs. You could get a board cut at Home Depot to fit the large opening and make another shelf :)
My old english teacher and her husband use board and block bookshelves. Basically, get a 1x10 and a bunch of cinderblocks. Stack the cinder blocks two high and put a shelf, then two more cinder blocks then shelf, etc. Cheap and effective. Line the walls of a room about 3 ft high and you have plenty of shelf space.
Dude I've totally got this issue going on at my house. I've culled through them and given many to the local used book store. But the ones I don't want to part with just keep piling up and I don't have enough bookshelves! There's never too much of a good thing like books, right?
Instructables has some really great (less expensive) book shelves that look really quite easy to make. I can only vouch for the crate shelves, as they are the only ones I've "made" thus far. I'm glad to have THEM, though... I was able to get some more of our library out in the open - even if the shleves themselves aren't as "cool" as I would prefer. :)
5 comments:
I love it! Books become such treasured friends, don't they? How ironic that your old entertainment center is now your bookcase. So telling, huh? You probably don't have much time to watch tv because you are so busy working and studying. Good for you! So happy that you're getting moved in and escrow is behind you!
Great use for an entertainment unit. They're always up on Freecycle now that people mostly have thin TVs. You could get a board cut at Home Depot to fit the large opening and make another shelf :)
My old english teacher and her husband use board and block bookshelves. Basically, get a 1x10 and a bunch of cinderblocks. Stack the cinder blocks two high and put a shelf, then two more cinder blocks then shelf, etc. Cheap and effective. Line the walls of a room about 3 ft high and you have plenty of shelf space.
Dude I've totally got this issue going on at my house. I've culled through them and given many to the local used book store. But the ones I don't want to part with just keep piling up and I don't have enough bookshelves! There's never too much of a good thing like books, right?
Instructables has some really great (less expensive) book shelves that look really quite easy to make. I can only vouch for the crate shelves, as they are the only ones I've "made" thus far. I'm glad to have THEM, though... I was able to get some more of our library out in the open - even if the shleves themselves aren't as "cool" as I would prefer. :)
Post a Comment