Search Engine Box

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Arab-American beliefs regarding pregnancy and birth

The above subject is what I am currently reading about and gathering information on for my antepartum class. We actually have four different culture groups that we are learning about as part of our nutrition section, but we are allowed to work in groups to divide up the research and info gathering. Our group will then compile all of our information into one large table to share with one another.

Did you know?

-- Midwifery is held in high regard among Arab-Americans?

-- "Shahadah" is a declaration of faith that is whispered into the ear of the newborn? This needs to be done as soon as possible after the birth. (I have witnessed this several times.)

-- Arab-American women have a very high rate of lactose intolerance, and also are Vitamin D deficient? (Due to the lactose intolerance and the conservative dress that women follow.)

6 comments:

Metpatpetet said...

None of this is a surprise to me considering the part of the world I live in [Israel]. There is high lactose intolerance throughout the Middle East and North Africa. Other problems are thallesemia [major and minor] and G6PD [56% of Kurdish Jews, for example, have it, and 25% of Iraqi Jews]. Further, due to the custom of marrying first cousins, Arabs have a very high rate of genetically transmitted birth defects. We try to counsel them but it is such an old custom [keeps property in the family] that it doesn't help much, especially when added to the fact that most marriages are arranged by the parents.

Vitamin D deficiency is also a problem here, both among Arabs and very religious Jews, and for much the same reason, even though we certainly have lots of sunshine.

ER's Mom said...

The most beautiful birth was one I did as a chief resident - it was just the couple, the RN and me in the room, very dimly lit. After the delivery, the father annointed his son and whispered the blessing. Truly a beautiful moment.

Nowadays, I have a large Arab population, since I'm one of the few female OBs in the area. In fact, just helped one yesterday have her first.

Jessica said...

We recently had an Arabic couple deliver on my unit. No one was allowed in the room except for the nurse and her husband. She was fully covered from head to toe the entire time. Her OB was male, but he stayed out of her room the entire time until the very last possible second. It was great how we all worked together to respect their custom and wishes.

a.mousa said...

Are you talking about Arab populations or Muslim?

Just curious. I am a convert to Islam and married to a Palestinian. There is a difference between the two. Not all arabs are Muslims and not all Muslims are Arab. I think workers in healthcare should be very careful which they are referring to. But, I think it's really great that you are researching this topic. There are a lot of special issues with Muslim women and pregnancy and birth.

Good Luck!

AtYourCervix said...

When researching Arab-Americans, many of the religious traditions seemed to be pointed in the direction of Muslim beliefs. I know that not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims are Arab.

Emily said...

Yes, I knew about number 2! I had doula clients that told me they'd like to do this. They were Persian, but not Muslim.

I'd love to hear all about what you find out - I love this stuff!