Search Engine Box

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Perinatal bereavement

I just finished my training to be a perinatal bereavement counselor for my hospital. Wow! What an intense two days of training! I actually feel like I'm already way ahead of the training, having taking care of so many mothers before, during and immediately after the loss of their babies. I'm certainly not a novice when it comes to pregnancy loss.

It's just amazing how draining the classwork can be. The sharing of stories, both my own experiences listening to other women share their stories. Draining, with a capital D.

Listening to and interacting with multiple spiritual care staff members: Catholic, Protestant, Zen Buddist (!! I didn't know we had one of them on staff !!), Christian, and so forth.

Anyway, I would like to leave all of you with a very interesting and short video: TheDashMovie.

12 comments:

babyrndeb said...

did you do the RTS program?? Or does your hospital have a two day course??
Good for you for taking that next step - patients need that expertise...sad as that is.
It is one of the most draining parts of the job, but also one of the most rewarding. And luckily we don't see it every day!
Debbie

AtYourCervix said...

My hospital has the two day RTS bereavement training course. I went to it this week. I am officially an RTS Bereavement Counselor now!

Jessica said...

What a coincidence...I'm getting ready to take the RTS course. Last year I took Sherokee Ilse's workshop...also very good.

babyrndeb said...

I've also done the RTS counselor and coordinator training. Good courses ~

Speculative Speculum said...

I'm proud of you! :)

We watched that movie in our BSN class. :)

Anonymous said...

so glad you are doing this important work ATC. you rock!

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

So, as a newbie nursing student (1st semester), I have to ask...is it against the "rules" to cry in front of patients if they lose a baby? I know we will learn about that later, but I put myself in situations like that, and I just can't imagine doing anything but crying with them. Do they teach you not to do that? Just curious. I obviously wouldn't want to come across as unprofessional in any way, but how can you not just imagine being in their shoes?

AtYourCervix said...

Anonymous: no, it is not against the rules to cry with the family. It shows your humanity, and your compassion for the family's loss of their baby. I cry.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sounds SO intense - but so rewarding. Kudos to you for doing this work - you will change lives!

All the very best,

Kristine Burneko
http://lamazing.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank your for responding. I might cry a. lot.

Sandpiper photography said...

Do you guys utilize the services of nilmdts? Website is http://nilmdts.org. Major cudos for doing what you do. I was a photographer for nilmdts at one time