Search Engine Box

Friday, October 29, 2010

Planning for the future

Almost halfway through my midwifery program at Frontier -- WOOHOO!!!! The time has been absolutely flying by. I absolutely, 100% recommend Frontier to anyone who is interested in becoming a nurse-midwife, family nurse practitioner, or a women's health nurse practitioner. That's not to say that this program is easy. However, if you have the drive and are looking for the challenge of an almost entirely home-based higher education, send in your application!

On the potential job front after graduation......

I have been talking with the head of a local, very busy, primarily OB resident clinic. There is currently one midwife working at the women's health clinic, and she is planning on retiring in the near future, so they will have an opening for a CNM. Anyhow, in talking with the head MD of the clinic, it came up that this CNM is leaving in the future, and she would love to hire me. YIPPIE! ::fingers crossed:: She knows when I graduate, so she knows it won't be for another 2 years. I also mentioned how the clinic serves low-income women, but yet has not been designated as a NHSC participating clinic.

NHSC is the National Health Service Corps. It's a federally funded program that helps match primary care providers with high to critical need areas that serve low income populations. The clinic I would be working for fits the requirements as a critical needs area serving low income people, however, they have never applied for this program from the government.

Well, guess who is helping them apply for the program? Yep. Moi!

A huge draw of this program is the financial grants that it gives to the primary care providers in exchange for service. If you are approved, you receive $50,000 towards student loan repayment in exchange for 2 years of service in that high needs area. On the main webpage, I have just now noticed that you can receive up to $145,000 for loan repayment for 5 years of service. How awesome is that?!

So ladies, fingers crossed that I can help get the women's clinic approved as a NHSC site, and that I am then approved to be a care provider at the site. I really do love working with low income women (they seem to need good health care providers the most & need much more prenatal education then they receive). I would also be working with OB residents in training. Can you imagine - a CNM teaching OB residents about normal prenatal care and normal birth? LOVE IT!

4 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Cool! Good luck and keep us posted.

Cartoon Characters said...

Both sorely needed: Prenatal care for low income women and Education as to what is NORMAL to OB residents! Good work! Got my fingers crossed! :)

LauraT said...

What an awesome opportunity. Perfect for you. Praying it goes your way!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Best of luck. That would be fabulous.