Search Engine Box

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Physical therapy and those aching muscles


The flank pain I have? Not stones. The KUB was free and clear.

So, it's off to physical therapy I go for muscle spasms and tightness.

Again.
<------see those big muscles across the flank area? That's what is tight/spasms/causes me so much grief!

I have a history of having multiple issues with muscle spasms, tenderness, tightness and generalized pain. Some may poo-poo the diagnosis, but it's all I've got: fibromyalgia. I hate it. Medical people don't believe it - they assume you're a malingerer and are drug seeking.

Maybe some people are, but I am definitely not that person.

I have had chronic issues with my muscles and joints since I was a young teenager. I have had issues with extreme exhaustion and difficulty getting to & staying asleep.

It's a vicious cycle.

Tired and sore --> can't get a restful sleep --> tired and sore --> repeat.

I am on a self-imposed vitamin and supplement regimen that has helped me tremendously. And....ta-da! No pain meds or narcotics are involved!

What I take as supplements:
  • - daily multivitamin
  • - magnesium 1000 mg po daily - increase to 2000 mg (divided into two doses) during flares
  • - extra B vitamins as needed (for flares), focusing on B-6 and B-12
  • - special iron supplement with intrinsic factor (this is more for my iron-deficiency anemia from gastric bypass)
  • - ambien 5 mg at night for sleep (works like a charm!)
  • - flexeril 10 mg at night recently added for my back

So, I suppose you could say that I have had a lovely flare that's been going off and on for the past year, since that has when I have noticed the increased left flank pain. Which has now been proven to be muscular in origin.

Hello physical therapy -- again!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! For your joints, have you considered making broth with bones (chicken or beef)? If you make sure to include the animal joints in your broth, it will be rich in all the things your joints need to function properly. Since I started making a lot of broth and taking a good cod liver oil, my joint pain has disappeared!

HTH,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Try a chiropractor. I work with a really good one, and a TON of our patients have been dx'd with fibromyalgia. It obviously isn't a cure, but if it helps your pains, wouldn't that be worth a try? Either way, good luck!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever taken Arnica? The bottle says "for muscle soreness, bruising, and pain." I don't know if it will help your type of problem, or if it's more for a definite physical injury (pulled muscle, bruised shin), but you may want to look into it, just in case.

-Kathy

Anonymous said...

So where's the D? Check out www.vitamindcouncil.org for more information. What if you have osteomalacia which causes muscle aches and is caused by D deficiency. The council's recommendation is to take 5,000 IUs daily for 3 months and then have a blood test (Vitamin D 25 OH) and titrate accordingly. Your goal should be at least 50 but if you have chronic health conditions try to get it closer to 70-90.
Hope you fell better!
Sylvia

Cherylyn said...

Thank you for sharing what's worked for you! Do you also deal with the depression aspect of FM? Is there anything (preferably natural) that you've found to be particularly helpful for the emotional part?

AtYourCervix said...

My D-25 OH was measured last month and was 34. Might need to increase that a little bit.

I have the depression issue also. I take a low dose SSRI for that (have been on that for years and years.)

Anonymous said...

I have fibro too and like you don't like telling medicos because 99% of them think you are a drug seeker or whiner. Thankfully I have a great rheumy who is reasonable about pain control. IOW, she gives me pain killers but encourages supplements, exercise,weight loss and any other non-pharmacological relief that works. MY GP and OB are also good about it. \0/
I take Vit D3, a really good fish oil, flexeril nightly and darvocet when necessary. It's a toss up between darvocet and tramadol but the darvocet is L2 and tramadol L3 so for now it is darvocet.
Unforrtunately I can't tolerate most of teh B-vites. I have a weak stomach after HG and just the smell of B-vites makes me start gagging. It's a shame becasue I could really use the B-complex, I know. I' picked up a good multivite ysterday and put it in the fridge hoping to cut back on that stinky vitamin smell/taste.

The flexeril is probably my single biggest help. It doesn't work like magic for me but over time and consistently taking it I get some nice steady relief. I've figured out that I need to take it nightly regardless of how I feel because if I stop, within a few days-weeks I have a bad flare.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to send you this post to cheer you up. It's probably the best endorsement for skin-to-skin (or "kangaroo care" as they call it) you'll ever see. Enjoy :)

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38988444

Cartoon Characters said...

I have been off all medication since buying the hot tub. It's got great jets...if my MD writes a letter that it benefits me, it is incometax deductible. I can't believe how much it has helped since I had been on anti inflammatories for 5 yrs since my MVA ..... I have had arthritis since teen years in certain joints. Also...we are getting one of those devices where u can flip back and almost stand on your head to stretch the back....works great. Tried that out also...

Amy said...

Another possible suggestion, in the 'it worked for me' vein. Reading your vitamin regime profile and symptoms (an autoimmune disease, sleep issues, depression issues, etc) and knowing that you struggle mightily with weight control, I wonder if you have had a celiac panel done, and/or trialed a gluten free diet. Even if all five panels come back negative, trialing a gluten free diet is very inexpensive and there is absolutely no harm done if it is not part of your answer.

Hope your back and side feel better quickly.

Anonymous said...

I was also going to suggest getting looked at foe celiac's - my fibro type symptoms are almost completely gone after 1 year gluten free.