Search Engine Box

Monday, July 05, 2010

Get your drink on!



I'm not talking about all you non-pregnant people. I'm talking about those wonderful, gravid bellied women.

Please, when it's as hot and humid as it currently is, you need to be drinking at the very least, 60 oz of water a day. That's almost a liter. Actually, come to think of it, drink MORE than a liter of water a day.

Water is good for you. It keeps you well hydrated, replaces the fluids lost from the heat and humidity, and keeps the false labor contractions at bay.

Signs of dehydration in pregnancy:

-thirst
-nausea/vomiting
-headache
-cramping/tightening in your abdomen --> which can lead to preterm contractions/preterm labor
-concentrated urine (dark yellow) --> a well hydrated body should produce urine that looks very pale in color
-urinating less often than usual, or not at all
-fatigue
-raised core body temperature
-dizziness, lightheadedness
-dry mouth
-decreased fetal movement

If you're outside, whether at the pool or walking at the local arts and crafts show, you need to keep a big bottle of ice cold water in your hands and drink, drink, drink!

Caffeinated drinks will actually dehydrate you, so try to avoid or limit coffee, teas, and soda during the hot, humid months. Better things to drink are water (of course!), 100% fruit juices, and caffeine-free tea. If you don't like plain water, add some fruit slices to your water for flavor. Some good suggestions are lemon, lime, orange, raspberries, or strawberries.

If you've been drinking lots of fluids, and you have any of the signs of dehydration listed above, call your health care provider immediately for advice.

12 comments:

Lysana said...

Ugh..."check" on many of those symptoms...for some reason, during this pregnancy, I haven't been able to tolerate water very well, so I haven't been drinking enough. I'm trying to take it easy and drink lots of water today, though, since I finally overdid it yesterday. Thanks for the message and the checklist!

Tiffany said...

I usually recommend as close to a gallon of water a day as possible! We see so many more UTI's and kidney infections during the hot Arizona summer months!

Jen said...

60 oz is way more than a liter, it's actually 1.75L. A gallon is 3.8L. (32 oz is roughly a liter). But I agree, drink enough until your pee is clear, maybe just a touch of straw color, but the paler the yellow the better. So 60 oz plus is a good start to that.

Elizabeth said...

While I agree that everyone should drink enough to avoid dehydration, it is a myth that caffeinated drinks don't count. And most people get at least half of their daily requirement from food, not drinks.

Now, maybe pregnant women shouldn't be consuming that much caffeine for other reasons, but hydration isn't really why.

AtYourCervix said...

Ok, I admit a big math boo-boo with the ounces to liters. You are correct Jen, 60 oz is more like 1.75 liters.

Jenny said...

I would also add hunger to the list. Sometimes people are so thirsty that they feel hungry instead of just thirsty. That's how it is for me, too.

Anonymous said...

Great advice!! I have been horrible at keeping up with my intake this pregnancy! I will try harder!!

Moooooog35 said...

But, with concentrated urine you use a lot less in the wash so I'm not sure I get your point.

Robert said...

I'm convinced my wife staved off pre-eclampsia by sheer will. She drank 128oz of water daily...

PUI prof said...

Not to whine, but if you have pelvic floor issues, its hard to make yourself fill your bladder!!

MathiBear said...

Fruit can also be a good source of water. Watermelons are on sale right now and they taste great and rehydrate you. I ate at least a whole grapefruit a day through the end of my pregnancy. Also, my water bottle is 30 oz, I was drinking 2 of those a day. Its easier to drink water when you have to refill it less.

Antigonos said...

Depends on climate, I suppose. In Israel, where the humidity is low and the temperatures aren't, we tell women to drink at least 3 liters a day, two of which are lost by insensible perspiration. Even so, I wind up doing a large number of NSTs in clinic because women arrive complaining of decreased fetal movements or contractions, or both. I give them a pitcher of cold water, tell them to begin drinking, and within minutes the problem is usually solved.