Search Engine Box

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Post op update

So..........

I went back to work on post op day #3. Big mistake. My lower incision burst open and was bleeding bright red blood. Had to change my dressing several times. Granted, the incision is only about 3/4 inch, but it wasn't closed with suture. Also, I wasn't doing any heavy lifting at work. Circulated for a c/section (felt like I was going to pass out at one point.....ahhh, the dizziness continues!), and took care of a post op c/section on complete bedrest. Just too much walking around, too soon.

I still have periods of dizziness -- not narcotic related - not taking them during the day at all, just one tab at night for soreness and PRN sleep.

I called off of work yesterday to rest up, and was still having some bleeding from the open incision. The bleeding is less today, and I'm leaving the incision open to air now.

To those of you who have had a tubal - how long did you take off of work afterwards? Do you have a highly physically active job or a sedentary job? Just curious......

13 comments:

pinky said...

I did the exact same thing. Went back to work way too soon and hurt myself within 3 weeks. Nurses are not very good at taking care of themselves. Take a week off if you can. I mean sh1t you were gushing blood. That is not good. And you know everyone heals at a different rate. Give yourself time to heal.

Anonymous said...

I went back to work on post-op day #2, but I also never took any narcotics at all, not even intraoperatively. The surgical team told me I'm a freak of nature. I have a highly physically demanding job, involving bending, lifting and running. That's probably why I recovered so quickly.

Give yourself a break and feel better soon. Everyone is different.

Sunflower RN said...

I went back too soon after getting my gallbladder out. Belly button popped open while at work. That was day 11 post op. Took another couple of days for me to be able to tolerate a 12 hour night on Ortho and a couple of steristrips to keep it all together.

Took me 10 weeks after my LAVH hysterectomy to get back, and then it was light duties for a couple of weeks.

It does take a long time to knit everything back together.

Anonymous said...

Hey "grrrr" did you stop to think that there are people who would say you had a tubal because you were not well informed? Just like your "grrr" without any medical background on the elective c/section. Just because you don't like it does not mean it was the wrong decision. If a Catholic suddenly tells you you were wrong would you be offended if she posted her "grrr" on her blog. Would you even think about it? People feed on the pessimism you expound about Doctors and use it as a reason to make ill-informed (not factual) decisions. I have an idea. Like your tests, you should teach. Write and post a completely informed consent that anyone regardless of education level can read or have read to them about any c/section - elective/indicated/emergent. Make sure it can withstand a legal challenge, and I will print it and use it in my practice. I get sued and your permit fails the legal litmus test and I will point the attorneys in your direction. Want the challenge or are you just here to post anarchy? My printer is waiting. I'll stay anonymous just like you. At least Tuteur has the guts to expose herself. We are both still practicing and hsve to skulk around.

Jessica said...

Um...Steri-Strip? ;) I hope you're feeling better soon!

AtYourCervix said...

Hey Anonymous #2 - sorry I rubbed you the wrong way - NOT. I have opinions. I place them here on my blog. Deal with it. Just like you have your opinions - why don't you start a blog?

AtYourCervix said...

Jessica - yep, been doing the steri strips - still bled through. Things are slowing down though. I'm guessing my slower would healing is due to the location of the incision - the lovely little pannus (belly fat) leftover from losing 150+ lbs. Not surprised it's taking longer to heal actually.

Carol said...

I was a stay at home Mom at the time. My husband stayed home one day after I got home. I was not in great shape but not in bad shape either.

After my TVT and partial Hyst my Mom came up to help with my kids for a week or so.

Juli said...

IIRC I took 3 days off and planned to be all relaxed so I could get as much healing in as possible. I had a pretty sedentary job at the time too (mostly sitting.) I ended up with the lower incision being exactly at counter top height and being sore to the touch for like 3 months, so I was always bumping it. It was totally worth it though!

Anonymous said...

I received a response! First let me seem less than cold hearted and tell you that I understand that post tubal pain is real. If you had a minilap worse but since you are in a large facility I would guess it was a scope or essure. It still causes pain and yes though I do not believe in a "post tubal ligation" syndrome the tubes do have sensation as proven by a ruptured ectopic. I hope you are better soon. Just becuse I do not appreciate your opinion does not mean I wish anything but a speedy recovery.
Again I ask, tongue in cheek, would you consider your unexpected post op discomfort to be a result of being ill-informed? Again to support your opinion would you post an adequate consent form that if a patient has an elective cesarean, or tubal, you would not post a "grrr". I respect thqt we all have opinions and do not care about rubbing a doctor the wrong way, but se hold ourselves out as learned professionals. The lay public reads these blogs and assumes that if a nurse can "grr" it must be bad and then use this noninfo to make poor medical choices. Care to try that consent? I do not want to criticise in my blog. I just have fun - and be sarcastic about our chosen profession. I read the "well timed period" also. The second greatest blog name (yours is first).

AtYourCervix said...

Anonymous MD - I wasn't really complaining about my post op discomfort. It's really minimal, compared to what I've had done surgically in the past. But thanks for acknowledging things.

I'm not a lawyer. Don't ever care to be one. So, you want a well written consent? You're the doc. I challenge YOU to write one up.

I also don't advise anyone on anything. They can take the info I write about....or they can leave it.

Apparently, however, there is a growing number of women who do not trust the medical/nursing profession. Take a look around. Why do you think I'm working towards bettering my own education in the field of nurse-midwifery? I don't pretend to know it all, nor will I ever know it all. Just want to broaden my knowledge base, and help make pregnancy safe, one woman at a time.

pinky said...

Interesting point, taking medical advice from some chick on the internet. That is the reason I tell people the truth about myself. That I am a 400lb convict in Bridgewater State hospital for the criminally insane. I give out medical advice from my cell. The prison system has an excellent education system and library that is why I know so much. When I get out I am going to be a midwife. I will have to get the spyder tattoo removed from my face first perhaps? The warden says the tat will give folks the wrong idea about me.

AtYourCervix said...

Geeze Pinky, you gained 100 lbs pretty quick there. You used to be 300 lbs.

Psst: remove the tattoo