
Did you know that a baby's brain at 35 weeks gestation is only 2/3 the size of the brain of a 40 week gestation baby?
Did you know that in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy, the baby's brain makes connections needed for balance, coordination, learning, and social functioning?
Did you know that babies have difficulty coordinating the ability to suck, swallow and breathe until about 37 weeks gestation?
Educational picture card above available at www.marchofdimes.com
11 comments:
Thank you for this link. It reminds me of the woman I wrote about who said her son's lungs were fully mature at 35 weeks b/c she had received the steroid shots... *sigh*
reminds me of my friend who went into preterm labour at 27 weeks and was told it was best for her babies to stay in. too bad they didn't.
Some women just don't go to 40 weeks! I have had 3 babies, all born before 39 weeks, no inductions, all natural. My 1st was 37.5 wks, my 2nd was right at 38 weeks, and 3rd was 9 days early. Maybe this 4th one will get closer to 40 weeks; altho I will be very surprised to get past 39 weeks! However, my babies have all been fine, have nursed well, been strong, even hit some milestones early, so I don't think it absolutely HAS to be right at 40 weeks - 38-39 weeks can't be such a drastic difference than 40. I think my babies have all been born when they were ready - and my body was ready too!
AYC...great informative post. But you don't think I'm not going to let this pass, do you? I think now I have to ask my most difficult ER patients if they were premies! Might explain the 2/3 brain thing...LOL...Hope this finds you well.
Lanae - you are correct. It's not an exact science to know when a baby is truly ready to be born. Some are born early and are fine. Others are born on time and are not fine. I really was impressed, however, with this informational picture card.
StorytellERdoc - I have to wonder if some of my patients were preemies themselves sometimes.
I finally have a better understanding of myself & cerebral palsy. I was born 9 wks. early & weighed 3# 2 ozs.
Absolutely Deb! Can you imagine just what brain development preemies are missing out on? If the fetal brain is only 2/3 the size at 35 weeks, versus the size at 40 weeks - how many connections are those babies lacking? That picture comparison just blows me away.
AYC - I did know what you meant posting the poster, and really, it's a good thing for women to remember for their baby's sake when they start wanting early elective births! A baby should have all the time he/she needs in the womb, if possible...if no other complications make early birth necessary/unavoidable.--- My mom was 3 months early 70 years ago, weighing 2 lbs 2oz, and is so fortunate the only thing that ever seemed affected by being a preemie was her sight! She's still in great health.
Sure, some babies may come "early" just because they are ready and it's time -- and be perfectly healthy. One of my babies was "late" -- she came at 42 weeks and 3 days -- but was totally healthy, and came at the perfect time for her. But I think trying to force a healthy baby out before they are ready makes about as much sense as trying to hold a baby in when they're ready to come out. (Can you imagine doctors trying to stop a mom's labor at 41 weeks because "the baby will be healthier if he stays in a little longer"?)
AYC, I couldn't find that image on the March of Dimes website. Can you give a link to it?
The direct link is here:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/240_48590.asp
This really explains my son's (33 weeks) difficulties. He's had a host of gross motor delays, sensory integration dysfunction. For a couple of years we were told he was mildly autism spectrum. Now at age 9, he is clumsy, uncoordinated, and stutters. But he's a straight A student! None of the specialists thought the prematurity was enough to be the cause.
Post a Comment