Search Engine Box

Thursday, February 18, 2010

To the doula

Dear Doula:

I hated having to tell you that you couldn't come back to the OR or to the recovery room with the woman you have been supporting all day in her labor. You do realize that I have rules I have to follow?

Screw the rules.

The woman who hired you as her labor support deserves better than what I can give her. She deserves you.

I may not have been able to sneak you into the OR, but I sure as heck can sneak you into the recovery room.

You're an awesome doula. I hope I see you again soon!

Sincerely,
AtYourCervix

19 comments:

Michelle said...

You rock.
I hope one day, I have a child and I get an awesome L&D nurse like you.

Nicole said...

Man I wish you where a L&D nurse at the hospital I am having my baby at. I just pray I get one as close to you as possible. PLEASE LORD!

Gatorhap said...

You are awesome. Thank you on behalf of that laboring woman.

Enjoy Birth said...

You are so great! That was the worst time of my cesarean, in recovery I felt so alone.

The Fabulous Ms. Beth said...

you rock!! :)

I know as a doula I feel defeated when I've helped out a laboring woman for 42 hours only to have to wait in the waiting room if it ends in a c-section. I equate it to being a participant in a marathon but don't get the sweet victory of crossing the finish line at the end. It can be frustrating for both the laboring woman and the doula.

pinky said...

You have a point. Why do they let midwives come into the OR? midwives that I work with don't really bring much to the party in the OR besides orders for Pinky! At least the Doula would not be ordering me around too. At least I hope not. The list has gotten way too big already.

Heather Griffith Brewer said...

You know, I was with my sis for 12 hours for her failed induction, before they took her in for a c-section. I had been with her all night long and was just a couple hours away from having to go straight to work from the hospital. Her CNM threw me some scrubs and said "Come on" I got to see my nephew born, while his mom snored. I got to hold him and kiss his gooey cheeks before I went to work bleary eyed and deliriously happy.
Even though you couldn't admit that doula into the ER, thanks for trying and for realizing what is really important.

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

You are awesome! As a doula I appreciate the kind words and just the recognition that it is helpful for extra "emotional" support in the OR or recovery for mom. Our "job" isn't just physical support during a vaginal delivery, but also emotional support for exactly this kind of birth: one that doesn't end as planned, in way of how the baby comes.

Rebecca said...

From a doula...thank you!!!

It means so much to the mom & also to her doula...there's nothing like that feeling of helplessness when you bid farewell a woman and her family on their way to the OR.

You rock!

Sabrina said...

Good nurse. Very good nurse.

Morgan said...

Having a doula in the O.R. seems like it would be very helpful, especially with trying to stay calm during surgery. Sometimes the rules just don't make sense.

Anonymous said...

You rock!

You seriously, absolutely ROCK!
I put a link to your fabulous writing up on my blog - hope that's cool? I'm not a midwife just a lap bander!

AtYourCervix said...

Go right ahead Jennifer :-)

StorytellERdoc said...

Good for you...the comments show just what a great person you are. Kudos!

Aron said...

just another doula chiming in to say THANK YOU! Moms need that support all the way through and it makes no sense to isolate them during such a scary procedure. Thank you for getting that doula in to the mom's room just as fast as possible.

Erinn said...

It's all been said by the others, but here I am, echoing their words - thank you.

Karen said...

another doula here, saying THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

This doula is wondering why you can't be working around here. Thanks

Knitted in the Womb said...

Good job!

I've been in the OR for about half of my client cesareans...it really seems to depend on the OB and anesthesiologist whether I get in or not. The last one they just let me in after the dad left, and the mom really did need me.