33 yr old G2P1 patient arrives to L&D. She is currently 34 weeks gestation. Normal prenatal labs, including a 1 hr glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks that was 102. She is here on L&D for an elevated BP in the office, as well as proteinuria. Her prenatal records do not have the most recent visits noted on them (records were sent from the office at about 32 weeks).
1. Upon patient arrival, what should the nurse do:
a. Place patient on EFM
b. Get a BP reading in the sitting position
c. Have patient give a urine specimen for protein and glucose dip
d. All of the above
All three items are a MUST for this patient!
2. The patient is noted to be of a higher BMI (45). What type of BP cuff should be used?
a. Regular cuff
b. Large cuff
c. It doesn't matter
To get the most accurate BP reading, you need to have an appropriate size cuff, as well as proper placement on the arm. When in doubt, measure the widest part of the upper arm in centimeters, and use the cuff that fits in that measurement range. If the cuff is too small, it will register a BP that is falsely high.
3. What is the best position for taking an initial BP on a pregnant woman?
a. Lying on her left lateral side
b. Sitting upright
c. It doesn't matter
A true and accurate blood pressure reading is taken with the woman in the sitting position, with the cuff at about the level of the heart. Her arm should be at rest, or supported, so that she is not holding her arm up (which can falsely elevate the BP). Lying on her side provides the optimal blood flow to the uterus, and displaces the uterus off of the great vessels running medial in her chest/abdomen. This lowers the BP, but does not provide for a true and accurate BP reading.
4. Her BP is 162/102. What should the nurse do next?
a. Have her lay on her left or right side and recheck the BP in 5-10 minutes
b. Recheck the BP immediately, in the same position
c. Nothing
Her BP is concerning, so it must be rechecked. Some people might stop at the first reading, or immediately recheck it in the same position. However, we want to find out if the BP will decrease with her lying in a more optimal position for uteroplacental circulation for the fetus.
5. Upon performing a protein/glucose urine dip, the nurse finds the following results: Protein +2, Glucose 2000+. What should she do next?
a. Ask the patient about any s/s of preeclampsia: HA, n/v, epigastric pain, recent changes in vision, presence of edema, recent weight gain.
b. Perform a physical exam, including lung sounds and deep tendon reflexes.
c. Nothing, just notify the physician.
d. Both A and B
Both are important. The nurse needs to assess for signs and symptoms of preeclampsia that the patient might be exhibiting, as well as documentation of a thorough physical exam. The nurse will need to have a baseline of the physical exam results, in case the patient begins to show worsening symptoms of preeclampsia. Deep tendon reflexes will show whether or not the patient is showing signs of hyperreflexia - potentially worsening preeclampsia that could lead to eclampsia.
6. What, if anything, should the nurse do about the high glucose reading on the urine dip?
a. Nothing, it's probably a mistake since she passed her one hour glucose tolerance test.
b. Tell the patient she is diabetic.
c. Perform a bedside glucose fingerstick to find out the blood glucose level.
A follow up on the abnormal urine glucose results are a must. The physician/midwife will also want to know what the fingerstick glucose result is, so it is important to have that information handy. While the patient is more than likely diabetic, it is not in the nurse's scope of practice to make a medical diagnosis. She can, however, educate the patient on the possible reasons why she is spilling glucose into her urine.
7. What type of lab work would the nurse expect the physician/midwife to order for this patient?
a. Nothing, send her home. Have her follow up in two days in the office.
b. Preeclampsia labs (uric acid, creatinine, CBC with diff, ALT/AST, start a 24 hour urine for protein).
c. Hemoglobin A1C.
d. Both B and C
Self explanatory. With the high blood pressure, the proteinuria, and the glucosuria, it needs to be further investigated as to whether the patient is preeclamptic and/or gestational diabetic. While the HgbA1C will not determine if the patient has gestational diabetes, it will give a quick view of what her average blood glucose range has been for the past three months. A definitive test for GDM is the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Or, at this late gestation, a diagnostic test may not be ordered, but regular blood glucose levels and a diabetic diet would be prescribed for the remainder of the pregnancy.
14 comments:
Fun quiz... and a good idea for a blog post that mixes things up a little bit.
I'm just a baby nurse and don't "do" moms, but I'm curious about #4.
I always assumed that changing to the sidelying position was just for the benefit of the baby. So optimizing placental/fetal circulation will bring down maternal BP? I can't get that to make sense in my head.
Thanks for the posts!
Awesome test questions and great explanations as well. Its always great to review and retest what I know I should be doing daily!
Yeah! got all of them except number 3 (I chose A). Maybe I'll make it into midwifery after all. :)
How is this one? Which 2 spots can you apply a FSE? I got this one wrong on the RNC exam. That is why I remember it.
Grossly ruptured. nTz pos, ferning pos, pos pooling. 27 weeks. Occasional contractions. Twins. Wants to know if she can come off the monitor to go the bathroom. What do you do and why?
You rock, AYC...a lot of good points among your post questions. Thanks for putting in the time...
Cool quiz! I was excited to see how much I remembered from my nsg school days (last time I dealt with ob).
E.J. -- I'll take a shot at your question. Having the mom on her side also takes the weight of the uterus off of all those big abdominal vessels (including the abd aorta). When the uterus is weighing down on them, greater pressure is needed to get blood through. Hope I explained this right! :-)
First someone earlier asked about left lateral..in general if you get a person, especially a pregnant person onto their side then you will increase the amount of blood flow to the vena cava (remember the uterus w/ the fetus inside is heavy and will obstruct some of the vena cava blood flow back to the heart..making the heart have to work harder and thus elevating bp...of course when you increase the blood flow to the vena cava then you will increase blood flow throughout the person's body and consequently improve maternal fetal circulation.)
So if I have a mom who has elevated bps only when sitting and they drop down below 140/90s when in lateral positions would I still do PIH labs if they have no other s/s:headache, dizziness, visual disturbances, RUQ, brisk DTRs/clonus, inappropriate weight gain??
Grossly ruptured and 27 weeks...H*ll to the no she can't go off monitors and go to the bathroom. She would probably be kept in trendelenberg (not evidenced based but what the heck might as well give it a try)and she would receive a bedpan w/ some good pericare and new peri- pad and chuxs afterward (gotta reduce her risk for the inevitable infection anyway we can) She can't get up because her membranes have ruptured and it may be possible for her to further dilate and deliver one or both babies moments or hours after that bathroom trip! (We need to keep those babies in mom for as long as possible) Coming off the monitors is not a good idea because one or both babies does not have a good cushion of amniotic fluid and it may be possible for the cord to become compressed and put babies in jeopardy (and off monitor you wouldn't know it!!) Besides all that the pt is at risk for cord prolapse.
I agree, no bathroom trips. I would get the pih labs even if there were no other s&s. I would also look at what her pressures have been up until now. Look through the prenatal chart that the office faxes over to you. That will have all her weights and bps and labs and such. Perhaps even her favorite color.
Ok, so I was 39 weeks and blood pressure was 160/100 or so and dropped to about 135/90 in about 30 min. No protein in urine, no other symptoms (well, once or twice I had floaters in my vision after bending over, but my doc only asked about blurred vision-which I didn't have and I didn't know that little light flashes would be a concern at the time). My doc gave me the choice of induction the next day or going to the hospital to be monitored and have blood work done. Those were the only choices since it was Thursday afternoon and he saw preeclampsia coming and didn't want to just let me go over the weekend. Since I was so far along I went with the induction rather than waste money and time on tests, etc. Everything went fine-about 3.5 hrs of labor, no meds and a healthy baby girl at the end of the day. Do you think that the induction was the right decision?I'm still a bit upset about being induced and adding to the statistics. Debbie
Debbie - without knowing more of the fine details of your situation, I will say this: preeclampsia is not something to sit around and wait out for very long. You can get very sick, very fast. Ending the pregnancy (delivery of the baby) is the only true "cure".
I do feel like you made a good decision to go with the induction process. Please don't beat yourself up about the decision! It sounds like you had a very quick labor (not necessarily an easier labor), and I'm guessing you and the baby did well? How are you feeling now?
Thanks! I feel better having someone I know to be an advocate for moms validate the decision to go along with the doc and have an induction. I was just a little upset to not let nature totally take its course. Labor was no where near as bad as I feared from horror stories I had heard. I did request the lowest doses of pit necessary (thanks to knowledge from you and other nurse bloggers) which might have helped and was lucky that my body didn't need much to get going. Baby and I are both doing great. I hope you heal quickly from your surgery. Take it easy and thanks for all you do for all your patients. Debbie
I got 100%, despite having no medical training - just a history of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes (in two different pregnancies).
Re #2, though, I cannot believe the number of nurses who use a regular cuff on everyone, or give me attitude when I ask for a large one. I don't really care if you have to go into another room to rummage around for a cuff, I'm not interested in having a false HBP entered on my chart. I don't care if you think "I'm not that fat" - I have measured my arm circumference, and I know that it is outside the range for a normal cuff.
Post a Comment