Search Engine Box

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Midwifery History Books

This is just a partial list of the books I own. I have not managed to read them entirely yet. I know I have a few more laying about the house........

(Author -- Title of the book red is my comments for each book)




Rooks -- Midwifery and Childbirth in America
required for current class


Davis-Floyd -- Birth as an American Rite of Passage
read bits and pieces so far, has been reprinted since my copy


Breckinridge -- Wide Neighborhoods
required reading before attending Frontier


Jordan -- Birth in Four Cultures
haven't read yet, compares four different countries re: birth


Cassidy -- Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born
excellent piece with lots of history!


Wertz -- Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America
I plan on using this one for my current class, haven't read it yet though



Ulrich -- A Midwife's Tale read most of this one, hard to follow with the old style of writing, was a diary, so reads as such



Lee -- Vaginal Politics: A Midwife's Story
haven't read yet


Bovard & Milton -- Why Not Me? haven't read yet



Ehrenreich & English -- Witches, Midwives and Nurses: A History of Women Healers a small pamphlet/booklet, printed in 1973, but still with relevant history



Urang -- Playing Catch: A Midwife's Memoirs
awesome!


Block -- Pushed
makes me frustrated to be a nurse

7 comments:

Monica said...

Thank you for the list! I just got Playing Catch and Myle's Textbook of midwifery in the mail today, a romantic Christmas present form my husband, lol. I'll hit one of the more detailed history books here next.

pinky said...

I would like to pick up Varney's midwifery. I scoured Barns & Noble today and could not find it so I bought cookbooks. I think I might have to order that one. Have you noticed they don't have a midwife section of B&N? They have a nurse section and a medical section but no clear midwife section. That would be nice. I think...

Hey for a fun post, we could both take a picture of our book shelves. Yes, I have a whole bunch but the book shelf near my computer would be most active. You can tell a lot about a person from their book shelves.

StorytellERdoc said...

How the heck are you staying awake with that reading list? LOL :) I think you have a lot, a LOT, of reading to do ahead of you!

Stay warm.

AtYourCervix said...

I have multiple book "shelves" throughout my house. Add the many, many more books that my boyfriend also owns ---- plus the children's books that our daughter has ---- and you will quickly get the idea of just how vast our book collections have gotten.

AtYourCervix said...

ERDoc - I don't intend to stay awake ;-) I'm in grad school. No sleep (or rest)!

pinky said...

Some of the stuff is very interesting because I have been working in the field but didn't know a lot that I thought I knew. So lots of interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

Great list! I have Varney's Midwifery in my car right now.

I would also recommend Carol Leonard's "Lion's Heart, Lady's Hands". It is a wonderfully written book. The birth stories are great, and are interspersed with stories of the first days of the modern midwifery movement, including the establishment of MANA.

A little warning: it is a passionate, emotional book, and has some tragedy in it, too. Mostly on a personal level for the midwife, but it's still worth a mention. I cried.