Search Engine Box

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Feeling better - Natural births

Your comments (all of you!) really perked me up. I do appreciate it!!

I also had two natural births in the last few days :-) It was totally, utterly awesome to see and participate in some non-pitocin, non-epidural births.

I could easily see the labor progression happening in both moms as I did my "labor-sit" with both of them. Yes, picking up on cues -- sometimes very subtle cues -- of what their dilation status was in labor. I find it difficult to put the exact cues into the correct words to describe them.

These ladies were A-MAZ-ING!!

I love how my picking up of the subtle cues were spot on each time. No cervical exam needed to confirm things. With one mom, I called the doc in -- told her, she's ready to deliver, no I didn't check her cervix. Mom knew baby was coming, I could detect those subtle changes about her that said the baby was coming, better get the doc in now, or else I'll be catching! Poof! Baby :-)

Side note: I was (surprise!) in charge for half of one of my shifts too recently. I'm getting better at this charge nurse thing. Although, I do admit, I was doing a little prayer in my mind that there wouldn't be a c-section called, because that can really mess up the tenuous staffing issues.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got your mojo (or whatever you L&D guys get back.) When I read your post below, I really got your frustration --- different issues in the Emerg, same frustration, in that we know the difference between good care and stupid care.

On the charge nurse thing, we should talk: welcome to my world. )

Off to bed now....

LauraT said...

I'm so curious why my comment was deleted from your last post about "venting." I can't find my comment anywhere! I referred to patients speaking up when they receive bad care from the hospital and their care providers. I had filed a grievance recently. My comment had been referring to a "natural childbirth friendly doctor" that I had who was anything but. If patients speak up and articulate their dissatisfaction with unhelpful and dangerous birth practices, isn't that bound to make a difference? Hospitals are in the business of making money, as evidenced by the title "The Business of Being Born." If they lose money because patients won't deliver in their facility again or refer others to their facility, won't that make them take notice of specific complaints regarding their L & D practices? Anyway, just curious. I totally love what you do and think you're amazing. I've learned so much from your posts and wish you a successful midwifery career.

AtYourCervix said...

Lct4j - I didn't delete any of the comments. I don't know what happened to it!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My name is Sharon Smith and I am the assistant editor of Gynecology.net. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a relationship with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Gynecology.net offer a free informational resource to both the general and professional public on several women health issues.

I hope you show some interest in building relationship, please contact me at sharon.gynecology.net@gmail.com.

moplans said...

yay for natural deliveries and super amazing nurses who support moms!

Abby said...

I just discovered you blog last night. Do you have any posts on big babies, complications that may have come up? My first baby was over 11 lbs. I delivered him vaginally after 43 hours of labor and a midwife advocating for me to not get a c-section...

My baby is healthy. I am just trying to find research and information on women's bodies, what happens when the babies are that large, if all of my babies will be prone to be large...do you have any posts like that?

Thanks!!