Search Engine Box

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Amy Romano, I *heart* you!

Here is a post on Amy Romano's blog, Science and Sensibility: Are Consumers at the bottom of the evidence pyramid?

To sum it up: research is being done to find evidence of care in what we (medical/nursing people) do to the consumer, and not what involves consumer (patient/family) participation. Studies are done on perfecting surgical techniques, medications given, things of that nature, but studies are rarely done about what women/families do to help themselves or each other during labor, birth, postpartum and neonatal care.

I feel incredibly frustrated, as the health care provider towards the very end of a woman's pregnancy. I cannot, as the labor and delivery nurse, do a whole lot to educate women about their choices and how to empower themselves during their pregnancy. Women come to me on the L&D unit when they are in labor, have complications, or are being induced for labor. Yes, I do a whole lot of teaching about the labor process, pain management, coping/alternatives to pain medication or epidurals, the induction process, medical conditions, medical treatment and interventions. But it's almost like shutting the barn door after the animals have escaped. I am at the tail end of a woman's pregnancy. She has had nine months for education and empowerment -- but has she received it? Is it adequate enough for her to make informed decisions about her body and her newborn baby?

I am very excited though, as a midwifery student, about the possibility of being able to enact change. I'm excited about how I can help reach women in new ways to help them with their self-care, education, and their spiritual and physical pathways to becoming mothers.

(Side note: if you are interested in midwifery and the medical profession -- where it has been, where it is now, where it is going -- go read Midwifery and Childbirth in America by Judith Pence-Rooks.)

5 comments:

Jen said...

I don't remember if I was empowered by my doctor, I probably was since I kept asking questions when he should have been seeing other patients. He is a wonderfully patient doctor. However I do know that the nurses who helped in both my deliveries were like angels. I have actually considered having another child just so I could be taken care of by one of those nurses again. It was wonderful.

My captcha word is NERSE

Cassie said...

"She has had nine months for education and empowerment -- but has she received it? Is it adequate enough for her to make informed decisions about her body and her newborn baby?" The short answer- NO!
I am a member of the 20 something moms, and I can confidently say that NO ONE is telling us about the risks of induction, epidurals, or cesareans. What I know, I learned on my own. With my first child, I started with an OB who at 24 weeks laughed in my face for considering "natural" childbirth (without epidural) saying I was crazy and -my fave- "you wouldn't have an appendectomy without anesthesia just to prove you could would you?"
Furious, I turned to a practice of CNMs, with whom I was very pleased. But even they took a hands-off approach instead of a pro-active one, saying many interventions have little to no risk involved- though still affirming my decision for "natural" birth. And with this (my second) pregnancy the OB who backs up my CNMs firmly "supports" (read requests/ pushes for, etc) ERCs at 39 wks, inductions at 40 wks, and epidurals right and left. There are times where prenatal "care" turns into a medical slippery slope.... what happened to first do no harm??

-SPW said...

I am glad I have stumbled upon your blog. I love that you have a frank P.O.V on pregnancy and childbirth. I have recently just had miscarriage number three and can't believe how out of the loop I feel about my own body and what is happening. Its like they have all the info and give me bits here and there on a need to know basis. (I have about 3 or 4 posts on my blog about it over the last month)... I would love if you had the time to 'stop by' and give me your thoughts on some of these experiences. Even if you can just give me a laugh!!!

Thanks again for your honesty in this blog. Its a great read.

D. May said...

I have read your blog and the comments and I am a finally a mother after having 3 pre-term labors @ 5-6 months pregnant and 1 miscarriage. It took me to go back to school and become a nurse to learn about what was going on with my body and what I could do about it. I don't think that women are given enough information or empowered until something happens and it too late. I think midwives are good to have. They often are more sensitive to the patients needs may it be physically or mentally and give women an idea of what to expect may it be positive or negative.

Amy Romano said...

Wow, feeling the love!!! Thanks! I love your blog, too. I lurk more than comment, but know that I'm reading!